Spring Jefferson

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

Spring Jefferson

Post by ktaggart »

Has there been any discussion about which direction we will be running at Spring Jefferson? Since we will not be running there in the Fall, it would seem there are no restrictions as to which direction we can run in the Spring. Not only do I prefer CCW but it does seem a little safer (especially up at "Snoopy").

Anyone else have an opinion?

Ken
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Re: Spring Jefferson

Post by Dave Cutchins »

My best lap times are the same in either direction so it comes down to comfort level. I like running CCW, but there are other considerations.

Changing the race direction for the Memorial Day weekend could have an unintended impact on lap records. The fall move to the Shenandoah Circuit will be fun and a new experience for most drivers, but may not be a permanent change.

I thought at one time the road racers on the main track for the Labor Day weekend event complained about vehicles running CW on Jefferson (something about the visual effect of oncoming traffic). Thus the reason for running CCW in the fall.

Maybe someone with more information will chime in on whether there are restrictions for race direction over the Memorial Day weekend.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Track management told me today that we can run whatever direction we want over Memorial Day weekend. So, if you have an opinion or preference, please express it.

Rich
ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

Post by ktaggart »

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the records are by CW and CCW, not by Spring or Fall.

If there are no other factors involved, I vote CCW (I think it's more fun that way).

Ken
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

The records are kept for CCW and CW
Dave Cutchins
Novice

Post by Dave Cutchins »

"Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the records are by CW and CCW, not by Spring or Fall.
If there are no other factors involved, I vote CCW (I think it's more fun that way)."

Ken, forgive an old senile guy, what was I thinking. :oops:
See you in the spring and please make sure I run the correct direction even if the weather is cool. :lol:
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

I'll vote for CCW since I haven't run that direction yet.
Stan Vann
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I think we'll let all the registered drivers have a say at the event. Maybe take a vote at the Saturday morning drivers meeting.

I expect to send the paperwork to SCCA next week, so registration should open by the end of this month.

Rich
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Nelson emailed registration forms today and the form is also available for download on this website under "Schedule/Results". Online registration will open on April 19 at myautoevents.com

As for which direction we'll run, we'll have a system in place for each driver to vote their preference at Friday evening registration. At the conclusion of Friday registration we'll tally the votes and announce the decision. (Around 9pm)

There's a chance that drivers will have an opportunity to take a couple touring laps of Shenandoah at some point on Saturday. Details still need to be worked out. Dave Merritt will probably explain things soon.
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Since it is very unlikely we will make it to the track Friday night, both Michele and I vote CCW.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Got it Mark, thanks!

See ya there!

Rich
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Just got off the phone with track management, and here's the latest:

The track is rented for Friday, so we might not have access until 6pm. They plan to deal with early arrivals differently this year. Rather than us parking alongside the access road, they plan to stage us in the old go-kart track area (Washington Circuit).

The track is also rented for Monday, so anyone who stays over Sunday night MUST be out by 7am.

As for which direction we'll run, well, so far, the handful of people who have expressed a preference all prefer CCW. This doesn't necessarily mean we're going to run that direction, we still need to poll the drivers on Friday.

See ya there!

Rich
DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Chris White, Track Director for Summit Point, will be available to provide parade laps (not at speed) on the Shenandoah Circuit as it will be run by PHA on Labor Day Weekend during lunch time this Saturday (May 28th).

Chris will form groups as they arrive. You will not need your race car or safety equipment. You can come over in a personal car or tow vehicle (no RV’s). Multiple people in one vehicle are encouraged.

A flyer with this information and a course map will be available at registration this weekend at Jefferson.

Please note:
1. The lunch time for the Spring Jefferson event will not be extended for this activity.
2. Since everyone will be a "Novice" at Fall Shenandoah, everyone will get touring runs at the start of that event.

Cheers

Dave M
Dave Cutchins
Novice

Post by Dave Cutchins »

Dave,

There are several configuration for the Shenandoah Circuit.
Do you know which one and what direction will be used?
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

Post by DaveM »

Hi Dave,

That information (track map, direction, pit out, pit in, etc.) is on the flyer that will be at registration in three days. BTW, it is CCW.

Cheers

Dave M
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Looks like it'll be a record turnout for Jefferson. If you are planning to come, but haven't registered, or told Nancy or me you are coming, please do that ASAP! We're up against our limit and we need to know if anyone else plans to come. It's gonna be crowded, so do what you can to make sure there's room for everyone.

We plan to run the event using three car "pods". Drivers line up in "pods" of three, fastest of the three lines up first in the pod, slowest is the third car. All three cars should have similar lap times, with ideally, no more than ten seconds difference between the first and third car. The earlier on Saturday we can start doing that the better. So, please look back at your times for CW and CCW on the long course, and make an effort to get with others to form a pod. Properly formed pods will get to run ahead of someone who gets in line without being part of a pod.

Thanks, and see ya there!