Feedback on PM

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

jesfromric
Novice
Current Racecar: '97 Mazda Miata extensive modifications.

Feedback on PM

Post by jesfromric »

Great event, great venue, great people, great everything...

But, just a little feedback from a 100% newbie...

It would be very helpful to get a little clearer instruction on the "flow" of events, the expectations of what to bring with you to meetings etc. and much clearer guidance on when you run - in which group - at what time.

That did get better with the PA system and the "GROUP 1, GROUP 1 to the starting line" announcements.

1) Half of the novices had no idea to come to the novice meeting in full gear (me included) with your Novice Permit in hand
2) Your schedule showed a full hour of "novice practice runs" but we got in one frenetic run and then no direction at all
3) I had no idea what run group I was supposed to be in so only by luck did I pull around and get back in line
4) If pit rules are rules then pit rules should be for everyone - even the "old-timers" (traffic went both directions down every lane)
5) Where did it mentions the 3 stripes on your car for novice?

Anyway - I never make a suggestion without offering a solution.
If anyone else wants to contribute and make a "First Timer" handout I am here to help!

Thanks for a great event,
John
gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Re: Feedback on PM

Post by gmreider »

Hi John, glad you had a good time. I am sure someone will post and say you should have read all the rules and regulations and the whole of the entry info.
However when I stopped Friday to say hello and welcome you, I could have bent your ear to make sure you were all knowing. I like your Idea of a newbie info sheet. The written word on one sheet of paper would be good.
Please come and play with us again !
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

I can honestly say that I thought I had read everything that I could find and everything that came with the registration confirmation!

Not to mention the many posts I had here prior to heading to the event.

Not being defensive - again I'm happy to try to help the next newbie that comes along...
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

We are always looking for feedback on how the events are run. Polish is the only hill that we have a return road, so we are always looking to try to make it easier to know when you should line up. If you wish to make up something to help novices, feel free to send it to me at phaevents@comcast.net and I will see that it gets to the stewards for their approval.
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

OK
Here is what I came up with:

Sure Hope Others Add To It!

Novice Hill Climb Event Primer

• You will need to have your vehicle inspected by a technical steward.
o If this includes a first time SCCA roll-cage inspection you will need to be at the event early enough for this to take place – if possible arrange it before you arrive
• Make everyone’s job easier and be sure your car is ready to run!
o Be sure you have your paperwork in order and you have a driver’s license when you check in.
• You may NOT run your car up the course on Friday even if it is street legal, licensed, inspected and insured.
o You may drive your haul vehicle, walk or ride a bike!
• A pop-up or “easy-up” is strongly recommended
o You (and your car) will be sitting in the sun for hours!
o You cannot bring or drink enough water…
• You will be required to attend a novice meeting first thing – first morning
o Bring your Novice Permit book with you to the meeting
o Come to the meeting in full gear – ready to climb in your car when the meeting is over for a practice run
o Flyer may say “runs” or show an open hour but ask and be sure about what to expect
o If you have a question – ask a question
• Ask a SCCA person not the guy parked next to you.
• You will need to know your class and then you will need to know what Run Group you are in
o Write them down and mark them on your car!
o Groups cycle quite quickly and you can lose track
• Novice cars must have three stripes on them which are visible to every course worker from Start to Finish
• Hill Climbs are a unique discipline that takes years to master – don’t expect any records!
o If you spin or screw up you ARE OUT for the event and need to start at 1 again for your 3 required to lose your Novice License.
• Be nice!
o Almost everyone at the event will do what they can to help you – you do the same!