2015 Duryea

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

2015 Duryea

Post by Rich Rock »

On Wednesday July 1, Nelson will email the registration form to everyone on his list. On Saturday July 4, online registration will open at approximately 1am on myautoevents.com

Registration will be limited to 100 entries, after which a waiting list will be started.

If I were someone who wanted to be sure of securing a place on the entry list, I would print out and mail in the entry form with payment before Saturday. If that's not an option, I would register online as early as possible. Do want you want, I'm just sayin'
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: 2015 Duryea

Post by mrevilracing »

103 entries as of this moment with the tally on myautoevents.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Heavy85
Novice
Current Racecar: 240Z

Post by Heavy85 »

In for my first Pa hillclimb. Looks like about 12 hr drive from Illinois. Anyone care to share tips for behind the scene things a newby would like to know and keys lines on course to study? In process of downloading Rfactor to drive it on sim but Im sure there are details that wouldnt show up there. Car is V8 240Z w/aero on so should acheive decent speeds assuming I can keep up with it.

Thanks
Cameron
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Hello Cameron

I'm the novice instructor and will be happy to discuss the hill with you. Give me your email or email me @ mdbug6@comcast.net

I look forward to hearing from you
Steve Lewis
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Post by georgebowland »

Cameron,
Glad to see you are coming to Duryea. After your fast runs at the Dragon, I've wanted to see you try PHA events. You will be glad you made the long trip.
George
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

For my money, nothing beats actually being there, seeing the road in person. My suggestion is you get there as early as possible and spend as much time as you can checking out the hill.
sdwarf36
Novice
Current Racecar: mod-lite

Post by sdwarf36 »

"" In process of downloading Rfactor to drive it on sim but Im sure there are details that wouldnt show up there."

Theres a tree on the inside of turn 5 thats close to the curb in real life thats not in rF. ( Scared the poop out of me first time by. :shock: )
Water drains at the exits of turn 2+3-- One on the inside of 7-- And the dip coming into "oh shit" didn't make it to the game. :( Other than that its pretty good.

" Illinois hillclimber?" Is that like a Jamacian bobsledder? :lol:
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Our Safer barriers are the mossy side of the trees...
Heavy85
Novice

Post by Heavy85 »

sdwarf36 wrote: Theres a tree on the inside of turn 5 thats close to the curb in real life thats not in rF. ( Scared the poop out of me first time by. :shock: )
Water drains at the exits of turn 2+3-- One on the inside of 7-- And the dip coming into "oh shit" didn't make it to the game. :( Other than that its pretty good.

" Illinois hillclimber?" Is that like a Jamacian bobsledder? :lol:
Thanks for that - and for anyone that's been to central Illinois will know yes, yes it is. Really means that min drive is about 11 hours to race .... this hillclimb stuff is rather addictive. Should have surgeon general warnings.
georgebowland wrote:Cameron,
Glad to see you are coming to Duryea. After your fast runs at the Dragon, I've wanted to see you try PHA events. You will be glad you made the long trip.
George
Thanks George. Your excitement for these events and pushing me to come up there is part of the reason I'm coming.
mrevilracing wrote:Hello Cameron

I'm the novice instructor and will be happy to discuss the hill with you. Give me your email or email me @ mdbug6@comcast.net

I look forward to hearing from you
Steve Lewis
PM sent
Heavy85
Novice

Post by Heavy85 »

From between turn 11 and 12 (the right/left , downhill looking kink after Pagoda) are you really WOT all the way to the finish? Sounds that way from videos. Also, do the higher power cars just lift into 11 as it dips down or do you actually brake?
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

You will have a blast Cameron!

First things, the overnight pits are at the top of the hill. Come race day you drive to the bottom and setup a temporary pit area. So, you need to bring what you need in your car or have someone take it down for you. (Ask for Wankerville and tell them i said to take care of you! :) )

Yes, you will lift ever so slightly over the crest heading downhill foot to the floor the whole way! ( and you can't see the apex over the crest, lol ) Well, at least that is how you take it when you are ready to hang on for dear life. You will not get a lot of runs on this hill and you really do need to be a bit careful. Go have fun and learn the course! You understand that it takes many runs up the hill to be able to give it your all.

I will send a message as to a few other tips i have for you.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Heavy85
Novice

Post by Heavy85 »

Thanks for the tips Jeremy. Looking for hotels and most seem to be already full. I noticed in prior years there were blocks of rooms at a hotel - is there one for this event?
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Heavy85 wrote:From between turn 11 and 12 (the right/left , downhill looking kink after Pagoda) are you really WOT all the way to the finish? Sounds that way from videos. Also, do the higher power cars just lift into 11 as it dips down or do you actually brake?
Flat from 5 all the way with a tap on the brakes into six, flat from the Pagoda with a slight lift over the crest all the way to the finish (this video I lifted A LOT over the crest was in the wrong place this run). Glad to see you coming, we were sending messages on RRAX a little while back. Be sure to stop by our pits and say hi, grey '14 Mustang flat black C4 Corvette and blue E36 M3 among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8og9s6IPf8A

It should be noted something was amiss in the rear suspension and the car was trying to kill me the whole way up especially in six...
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Yeah I need to try to make arrangements with some hotel this week. Gonna be tough, there's a big convention in town that weekend and some places have been sold out for months.
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Rich Rock wrote:Yeah I need to try to make arrangements with some hotel this week. Gonna be tough, there's a big convention in town that weekend and some places have been sold out for months.
We reserved our room at Pagoda. Wasn't taking any chances...
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

EconoLodge. Reading, Pa. Phone 610-378-1145. Block of ten rooms held under Duryea Hillclimb. They will hold the block until 11am August 1st. $71.99/night plus tax.

This place is close to the hill, Just off 5th Street Highway.
jenowman
Novice

Post by jenowman »

I will not make tech Friday night at the fire tower. I am not a novice. Where is tech Sat morning ?
Top of the hill, in the pits, somewhere else ??

Thxs
J
geowit
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 103
Current Racecar: #103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS

Post by geowit »

Tech will be available in the pit Saturday morning but you are going to be very busy with novice meetings. If you put your completed tech sheet, log book and safety gear on, in or near your car, we will be able to check it without you being present. Good luck.
Thanks,
Geo.
#103 '85 Mazda RX-7 ITS
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Some of you know me? Some of you dont!
Those who know me, Im a big pain in the ass!
I cant believe we cant move on from the dark ages.
Some of us remember the days (back in the 60's) when you had to get your Duryea entry in within 24 hours of it being mailed out! The cut off was 100. Its now 6 decades later and our cut off is still 100? WTF?
MAILED out? Who does that any more?
Dont get me wrong. This is a little tounge in cheek. My friends at BMR including my my most respected friend Rich Rock and many others in the Blue Mt region have done a tremendous job of promoting this event.
Ok, here is my beef!
I spectated Pagoda! Fantastic job! I think you had 3 maybe 4 cars on hill at the same time? The wonder of electronics?

Why not consider, 1st run Saturday, Qualifying? Start fastest cars first...set run groups or start times according to run times, fastest first and so on down the line?
Pit spot? Who cares? Central Park is okay for those of us who just want to go fast! Lol
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

We'll be at the hill Saturday August 8, beginning at about 8:30am doing general cleanup and preliminary setup. All help is welcome (and needed). We'll probably work until around 2pm, so if you can't be there early, just show up when you can. Lunch will be provided.

For the event itself, here's some of what's planned:

Cj's is giving gift cards to everyone who sets a new record. $50 if you did it on tires you bought from them, otherwise $25.

S and W Racecars is awarding $50 store credit to those who set a new record.

Party Saturday at Egelman's. We'll have door prizes and silent auction. Proceeds go to charity. Please try to donate something!

That's all for now, I'll be posting more info in a couple days!
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

On Friday, BMR members will be at the hill around 8:30 am to do cleanup, setup, etc. We can use all the help we can get. Registration and tech at Fire Tower. Free food. Burgers, dogs, and chips. We'll be looking for volunteers to cook.

We won't have access to the lots at the recycling center. Trailer parking is available in the grass area along Constitution Blvd. Please use it! Personal vehicles are not to be parked in a space that could be used for a competition vehicle. If it looks like dry weather for the weekend we may open up the outside of turn 4 for a couple enclosed trailers. The inside of turn 2 can also be used for open trailers.

BMR has a meeting Wednesday evening. If anything important comes out of that meeting, I'll post the info here.

Otherwise, see you at Duryea!