2015 Pagoda Hillclimb

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Re: 2015 Pagoda Hillclimb

Post by Mazdahead »

Nothing has really changed from the way it used to be.
Novices have always been expected to be there Friday nights just like Matt stated.
There have always been exceptions because of people working and being unable to make it Friday night.
I believe Steve's intent was to offer a more extensive look at the hill and more instruction with time for Q&A.
The touring runs will still happen Saturday morning, just with a shortened version of the "Talk".
I am sure Rich can be accommodated for his situation, but Steve wants to be sure any novice receives appropriate instruction.
Nothing to be up in arms about.
We will help Rich make it into the event, just as we always have!
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

I'm not particularly alarmed, because I'm pretty sure all Steve is trying to do is provide additional instruction. And that is fine. Actually, that is pretty cool. He's putting a lot of extra effort into this.

None of this is going to make the event start any earlier, because we are still constrained by the time the workers get placed on the hill -- 9 AM at the earliest at all the events. I'm not sure earlier is doable from what I've seen.

However, I've spoken up, because if I were new, from the way the entry form is worded, I'd read it as Novice Meeting Fri night is mandatory, no exceptions, since, well, that's how it's worded. There is no contact info except for event chair and registrar. Hopefully a novice will not be afraid to contact the event chair if there is a reason Fri night is a problem. If it were me and my first event, I'd assume I couldn't run. I might contact the event chair if the only mandatory thing Fri night was registration and tech, but I would assume missing a mandatory meeting was a No Go, and would skip the event.

So the only thing I'd suggest at this point (assuming the event steward and chair are on board with the schedule change) is that the entry form makes it clear who to contact if the mandatory meeting is a problem -- either Steve or the Event Chair?

I'm assuming nothing else about Sat morning has actually changed as far as instruction content goes, and that lining the cars up at 8:00 AM and being fully suited up doesn't mean that novices will be sitting there for an hour. In other words, they'll still get the same ride up the hill, but will be suited up to do it (and their cars will be waiting for them to do touring runs as soon as they are back down and the course is ready). If this is not the case, I'll have other objections :)
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

For 2015, ALL PHA scheduled novice meetings will return to the Saturday format.

If you know a novice who is registered, please inform them that the meeting requirement has changed. There will be NO Friday night novice meetings.
However, the Friday registration/tech requirement remains as has always been stated. In other words, we are returning to 2014 requirements.

If there are any questions regarding this post, contact me directly.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!