2015 Team Challenge

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Speednation
Racer
Current Racecar: 4 Hondas and 1 Neon

2015 Team Challenge

Post by Speednation »

OK - this is a long one. I threw much of this up on FB a few months ago, but there are fresh details at the end (if you don't fall asleep getting to it).
Proposed Rules for the 2015 PHA Team Challenge

In the past there was a fee, but this year it costs nothing to join a team. Speednation.com will be sponsoring this challenge. Members of the winning team will receive championship jackets.

If you want to join a team, it is easy. Just respond to Nelson's email (when he sends it). You may also join a team at the first event, which is Rose Valley, or you can call me at 412-997-1285. Teams will be selected Friday night after registration at Rose Valley. At that time, Team Captains will designated based on Hillclimb experience (in other words, the old guys). Team Captains will then get to pick 1 ringer from the list of drivers who have expressed interest in being on a team. After that, drivers will be assigned semi-blindly and randomly to teams. We just want to avoid having 1 team will all ESP or SMF drivers. So at Rose Valley, there will ideally be 5 drivers on each team.

But there will still be a chance to join a team at Spring Weatherly. Each team will have 1 remaining slot, so any drivers who want to join at Weatherly will be randomly assigned to an existing team. There will be no more than 6 drivers per team.

The way this year’s challenge will work is slightly different than in the past. Driver points for each event will be assigned as follows:

The top 4 highest driver points for each team will count toward that team’s point total for an event. Drivers will get:
2 points for showing up
10 points for winning your class, 9 points for 2nd, 8 for 3rd etc.
1 point for breaking an existing record

4 Bonus points will be awarded at Fall Weatherly for any driver who has attended all 9 events. That can really be a game changer.

Frequently asked questions:

1). Why random? Why can’t my friends and I form a team?
The best thing about randomly assigned teams is that you will likely have a teammate you don’t really know well, but now because they are on your team, you will be rooting for them all season. You will probably end up with a member of the Saab Maab, a Wanker or an Oz on your team. Deal with it!

2). I have 2 drives on my team that both run in SMF. How is that fair?
Unless we have 9 teams, this is inevitable. So if you end up with Jason Ackerman on your team, you are golden (he will likely be selected as a ringer anyway). Likely, other SMF drivers will be earning less than 10 points per event. However if those SMF drivers who place 5th or 6th go to every event, then they could earn the 4 bonus point at the end of the year.

3). I probably won’t be able to make more than 3 events, so can I still join a team?
Yes. That is why only the top 4 driver points for each team are counted at each event. Don’t feel guilty – join in on the fun. You will be assigned to a team randomly anyhow. And you may find that if your team is in the running at the end of the year and you weren’t previously planning on going to Fall Weatherly, you may change your mind and go. That is exactly what happened during previous Team Challenges.

4). I blew up my car at the 2nd event. How does that affect my team?
If you were a lousy driver, then it may be a good thing. If you were a top point earner, than it will suck. See if you can find a co-drive, but be aware that the PHA typically doesn’t allow the same car to compete in 2 different classes at the same event. So 1 of you shouldn’t run the car in T4 and the co-driver run it in DSP. You should both run it in the same class.

5). I have more than 1 car that I am planning to run in 2015. How will that work?
Not a problem. You earn points 1 event at a time, so you could run a different car at each of the 9 races and still have those points count for your team. Don’t get any ideas, Mikey.

We will be putting the teams together Friday night at Rose Valley. Don't worry, if you can't make it just contact us and we will make sure you are on a team. Spring Jefferson will be your last chance to join a team. Friday night, I can add you to a team is you decide you want to play.

Here is a list of possible captains. I wanted to look at HOF drivers and others who have been hillclimbing for years. I am hoping to have at least 6 teams, since, again, it is free to join a team:
BOB OSWALD
JOHN PITTMAN
BOB GARDNER
DON DEHART
SUE SALSBURG
DONNIE MCLAUGHLIN
TONY PRESTON
JOHN STINSMAN
JANE STINSMAN
BILL LESSIG
BRYAN FRITZLER

I have a list of suggested ringers from with the team captains can choose, or they can choose anyone they want. Captains can only pick 1 ringer. Everyone else is assigned blindly. We are having a mock team draft at the Wanker party March 21 just to test out the system. I want everything to go smoothly at Rose Valley.
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: 2015 Team Challenge

Post by mrevilracing »

Nice write up Mike.
Thank you for putting the time in to create additional fun at the events.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!