Which Event Best ???

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

jesfromric
Novice
Current Racecar: '97 Mazda Miata extensive modifications.

Which Event Best ???

Post by jesfromric »

Help me out here.

If you could choose only one true hill climb event on the schedule (excluding the May 2-3 one [I'll be at the Lincoln Welding School]) which would it be?

First timer here coming from the Richmond VA area.

Set one goal for 2015 and that is to do at least one hill climb event!

Will probably get to one of the Summit Point events regardless.

Thanks,
John
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Which Event Best ???

Post by Nelson »

I haven't competed since about 2001, but here's my opinion. I started in an MGB then FV then FF.
All of the hills are fun and different. If you have a high power car all will be challenging.
The most technical hills: Weatherly or Duryea/Pagoda. Giant's, for low power cars, can get a little slow at the top (20% plus grade).
I never competed at Polish Mountain, but it looks challenging with the long sweeping turns.

If you go to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQG2bjYYM78

This is a year in review video that has in car video at each event so you can get an idea of each course.

One thing about Polish Mountain is that you get the most runs there of any of the hills. There is a separate return road so we don't have to stop to bring the cars down the hill.
gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Post by gmreider »

I would have to agree that Polish is challenging enough and you will get a lot of runs, unless we all crash and slow things down. It may be closer in travel distance for you also.
Probably Duryea is the longest run and can be crazy scary at first. It is so popular that you will not get as many runs up the hill. However if you get hooked on this stuff you will need to do them all. We are a FUN bunch !! Come and play with us !!
jesfromric
Novice
Current Racecar: '97 Mazda Miata extensive modifications.

Post by jesfromric »

Thanks!

OK I have August 1-2 penciled in for Polish Mountain.
I went ahead and ordered the complete package with sunny skies, temps. in the low eighties and a calm breeze.

I am so looking forward to this!

Can you tell me a little more about your Summit Point times?

If I have never been and want to check it off my "tracks I have driven" list would one of your events be a good time to do that?

John
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

We run Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. Last year on Memorial Day we ran in the clockwise direction, Short course (they didn't have the new long course open). Labor Day we run in the counter clockwise direction and used the new long course for the first time.

We run 3 timed laps at a time (no passing). We have the start/finish line on the back stretch so you actually run 4 laps. You do not have to run all 3 laps, but if you don't (other then catching someone) you forfeit the remaining laps. Last year in the spring (the short course) we offered 30 timed laps. In the fall (on the long course) we offered 10 timed laps.
The short course is 1.1 miles and the long course is 1.6 miles.

You normally can stay overnight Sunday but must be out by about 7AM.
Not knowing what class you run here are some class records

Spring CW Short Fall CCW Short Fall CCW Long
Course Record 44.864 47.133 69.950
Spec Miata 62.444 61.825 No car ran
Street Mod 55.167 53.907 86.334

If you send me your name and email address to phaevents@comcast.net I will put you on the mailing list. I only send out entry forms for all events, special notices and usually a year end newsletter.