Rose Valley - MAYBE

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Rose Valley - MAYBE

Post by mrevilracing »

MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE

We are sitting in the PHA meeting and there is discussion of Rose Valley MAYBE going in 2015. The MAYBE date is May 2/3.

There are still some details to work out but that date will be set IF it goes. The talk is that we'll need 60 drivers to break even. So chime in if you'd like to run this event again. Just looking for general #s for entrants as an estimate.

Keep in mind that while the date has been determined and agreed upon, this event is NOT guaranteed to go. And to kick off the #s of 'wanna-be's' at the meeting, there are 23 that have agreed.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Rose Valley - MAYBE

Post by mrevilracing »

Just in case you're excited for (maybe) Rose Valley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXow2amY4Y

The possibility that this may run again is exciting!!!! I will have to apologize for the absolutely lame driving in the video.
We're going to go up and look at the road condition which will determine wheter we run or not. But our fingers are crossed and we really hope all parties can come to an agreement to bring this event back. Go go go!!! NEED TO RUN ROSE VALLEY AGAIN!
Looks like the shot from the start to turn 1 is pretty fast. The slow version of the Mach was into 4th gear........hmm.........brake check a must.

Did I mention that I'm excited?
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

After numerous further phone calls, I would estimate the probability the event will occur is 90%. The Trout Run Fire Chief is checking with land owners below the start line for their approval; he anticipates no problems. Grace and others are going to go to Trout Run November 15th or 16th to test the wireless system.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

Rose Valley is a go!!!!!
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

For anyone interested in looking at the course, I was playing with google maps tonight, and noticed that "Street View" works with the entire course.
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Grace - do you have a link? Not sure how to do it; don't know the road #. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Sue Salsburg wrote:Grace - do you have a link? Not sure how to do it; don't know the road #. Sue
Here you go -- the map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Trout ... 30fd8d652f

Street view, starting at start line:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3813652 ... W_KUkw!2e0
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Grace, is it as narrow as it looks on the google maps?
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

While not as wide as Giant's (since the repaving in 200X) the width is similar to Weatherly. The pictures did make me look twice as it appears as narrow as Hershey but that's just an illusion, it's no different than a typical two lane PA road.
~Matt Rowe
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

It's a normal 2 lane road. With no shoulder (unless you like to drive on gravel or rocks).

Here's the start line from last Sunday:
Start Up Course small.jpg
And Turn 5:
Sharp Turn pic 2 small.jpg
The upper esses (with a Scirocco for size reference):
Between Sharp and Last small.jpg
Last edited by gdh57 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Turn 9:
Last turn small.jpg
There are more pictures on the PHA group over on facebook.

If you're not on facebook, I also verified wireless timing will work. That was the reason I went up last Sunday for a quick look at the course. It appeared, from google maps, that there was no room in the shoulder anywhere along the course to raise the timing antenna masts. I did find spots where I think the masts can be placed. I also did some testing (with paint roller extension poles instead of our real towers), and with my jury-rigged equipment and only 23' height, we had very good signal (80-100%). We plan to go back up in the spring once the leaves are back on the trees for a full test (and make sure there is actually room for the towers).

Here's the test setup at the start:
Start Antenna Test small.jpg
The road has been repaved (not sure how long ago), but the start line markings you can see on google maps are no longer there, not even a trace. So the repaving happened after the pictures were taken for the street view on google maps (unless someone repainted them after repaving and the paint has since faded?).