2014 Fall Jefferson

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

2014 Fall Jefferson

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Entry forms have been emailed, and it is also now open (until August 25th) on MyAutoEvents:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frm ... t_id=14999

It will soon be posted on the PHA website.

Please note:
1. The Jefferson Circuit with the new extension (1.6 miles) will be driven in a counter-clockwise direction. For each run, there will be a partial out lap from pit out to the start finish/line, two timed (hot) laps, and a partial in lap from start/finish to pit in.

2. The first 85 paid entries will be firm entries; that is 85 is the entry limit due to paddock limitations.

Cheers

Dave M
DaveM
Novice

Re: 2014 Fall Jefferson

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Please note that we will need more workers for this event with the track extension, as there will be more worker stations.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Cheers

Dave M
DaveM
Novice

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

I confirmed the following with Summit Point:
1. There will be another event on Friday at Jefferson Circuit that needs to leave before we can enter; so entry will be the normal 6:00pm
2. There will be another event on Monday at Jefferson Circuit; so we need to be out no later than 7:00am Monday morning!

Also, online (MAE) registration closes this Monday (8/25) night.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Dave M
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

What does everyone think of the new layout and how the event went?
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

David really liked the longer course but not the weird patch/pavement change that made the Fiesta unstable. I know he wasn't alone in having trouble there. And a special Thank You to Toni for rescuing Speedy's sombrero. If you're bone stock slow, you might as well be cute.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

I liked the new course and the event in general, and really don't like to complain, since I know how much work goes into organizing and running these events. The event itself was a great deal of fun, and I really appreciate how much work goes into one. The new section is a lot of fun, and I'm glad we got the opportunity to run it! If I could have only found 4th gear when I wanted it I would have been even happier :-)

However, I was very disappointed in how the event ended.

It was shut down after group 1 ran with no announcement about last runs. Last time I checked, there were at least 20 or so group 1 cars in line, and I had just pulled off the course back to pit. I walked out 5 minutes later, and apparently most of the cars in line (group 1) pulled out when it started raining. Because there was no one in line, the event organizers decided to end the event. There was no announcement, and the event just ended without warning.

Yes, I would have run in the rain, and no, I would not have gotten a good time. Running in the rain to me is just a different kind of racing, and can be just as fun. Yes, I have a roof; I might have a different opinion if I didn't, but probably not.

And yes I appreciate the fact that the workers don't want to stand in the rain, and I don't think they should when there are only a few cars left who want to run. And also that there were very few people who would have wanted that last run. But an announcement should have been made about last call before the event was shut down so that those of us in group 2 had the opportunity to take that last run if we wanted it.

Sorry for the complaint -- just asking that the organizers be a little better with announcements the next time. Most of us are not pitted on the outside row and cannot see what is going on when a major change is made like this.

Grace

PS As far as running in the rain goes, a friend recommended The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein) to me which is not actually about racing in the rain, but explains it well enough that I'm pretty sure the author has tried it. I highly recommend it, even if you have no interest in running in the rain. :)
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

I also enjoyed running the expanded circuit. It was faster than what I had anticipated it would be and the layout had a good flow. The only problem area on the new portion was the rough patches that have been mentioned. I adjusted my line to minimize the impact of the rough spots but that obviously slowed lap times.

I did not run after lunch on Sunday, but I understand what Grace is talking about. Even if an anouncement was made, it is very hard to hear. My paddock spot was fairly close to grid and it was difficult to hear anouncements or even tell where the last car of group one was and the first car of group two. Would asking for volunteers to be the 1st car and last car in each run group make it easier to tell how much time is left in each run group? Would remote wireless speakers in the paddock help ensure important annoucements were heard?

Thanks to the event organizers, staff and workers for an enjoyable weekend.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

A point to remember is that Sun started with group 2, so at the point the event ended (after group 1) both groups had the same number of sets. If we had offered group 2 again we would have had to offer group 1 to keep the sets the same.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Rick Kase wrote:A point to remember is that Sun started with group 2, so at the point the event ended (after group 1) both groups had the same number of sets. If we had offered group 2 again we would have had to offer group 1 to keep the sets the same.
Actually Rick, this is not the case.

On Saturday, we ended with group 1, so started with group 2 on Sunday. After group 2 finished on Sunday, we were even as far as number of runs went. In other words, group 1 got 3 sets of runs on Saturday, but group 2 only got 2 (we ran out of time), so we started with group 2 on Sunday for group 2 to get their 3rd set of runs.

Once group 2 ran Sunday morning, we should have run group 1 then 2 for the rest of the event.

If you want to see it in print, I took all the runs offered group 2. Bill Norton took all the runs offered group 1 -- not begrudging him his fun, just pointing it out because he is the one of the 2 that ran in the rain, and the only one that took all runs offered him (go Bill -- glad the car ran well this weekend!). I'm in GT3 and Bill is V3 for anyone who doesn't know us.

It was only 3 PM when the event was shut down, and we had the track until 5. There was a rain shower, with clear skies behind it, both visibly and on the radar. I actually question the decision to shut the event down in the first place. But I understand that the workers were tired, and that the forecast predicted a lot of rain around that time, and would have said nothing if there had been an attempt at communication so anyone wanting their last run could have taken it.

I definitely take issue with the lack of communication. This was actually a problem for most of the weekend.

In the case of Jefferson, the officials have to walk all the way over to the building to make an announcement, and that is part of the problem. Granted, it's hard to hear them when there is anything going on at the main track, and there is nothing we can do about that unless Summit Point decides to improve the PA system.

But perhaps the officials can be a little more diligent in announcements? It would be great to know when the group switch over is close to happening, for one. If it's too much to walk over there (the officials are all wearing many hats, so that was not a facetious statement), perhaps those of us who hang out and pick up the tapes can be delegated to making the heat switch over announcements?

Grace
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

Grace
Shows you what happens when I type before I think, my bad. I hate to use the "assume" word, but, I assumed we were on group two, but I was not keeping track. As to the "workers being tired" I was on turn three and I recall no station on the radio net making that comment at any time.

The next are a questions -1. Was group two given an opportunity to go out and a reasonable amount of time given to suit up?

2. what is the rule on giving every entrant an equal number of tries?

3. Should that last group 1 set be thrown out (we have two driver cars, did any get more runs that their co-driver)?

4. What, if any, class standing or any other awards could be changed by running only one group.
DaveM
Novice

Post by DaveM »

Hi Sue, Grace, Dave and Rick,

Thanks for the feedback and insights from the Fall Jefferson event. We are always looking for ways to improve our events. I have made a note of all of your comments and will try to address them in the future.

As far as the questions raised by Rick in the last post, I will look into them and have an answer for Weatherly.

Cheers,

Dave M
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Rick Kase wrote: 1. Was group two given an opportunity to go out and a reasonable amount of time given to suit up?
No. There was no announcement made, and no opportunity. There were 20+ cars in line when I came off the track. I walked out about 5-10 minutes later to see how things were going, and they were shutting the event down. Apparently most people in group 1 bailed when the rain started, and only 2 cars went out in the rain. The event organizers then made the decision to shut down the event because there were no more cars.

There were no more cars because anyone not pitted along the first row didn't know that it was time for group 2-- because there was no communication.
Rick Kase wrote: 2. what is the rule on giving every entrant an equal number of tries?

3. Should that last group 1 set be thrown out (we have two driver cars, did any get more runs that their co-driver)?

4. What, if any, class standing or any other awards could be changed by running only one group.
As far as these questions go, they are for the organizers to determine, but I doubt any standings are affected.

My main concern in bringing it up is the fact that there was no communication and the cavalier attitude of one of the event organizers when I questioned it. I did not bring it up further at the event because it was too late, and also because I was pretty pissed off and wanted to wait a few days and see if I still felt the same way.

So while the above questions may need to be addressed as well, I really want the communication issue addressed and corrected for the next event.
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I was in line and got out of line figuring that I was going to wait for it to dry out in 15 minutes or so. I needed a tenth to win my class that was taken away on the previous run by my competitor. I was not all that upset, but would have liked to have had a reasonable chance to get it back. If his run was disqualified I would have won and had the record too! I don't know what is fair, but I figured he set the time so I have to live with it. I did not have the opportunity to run in the morning because I was flagging and would have liked the chance is all I am saying. It was hot, a lot of drivers left or were packing up so the call seemed reasonable to me, but never gave the number of runs a thought. I go with what ever the official call will be about this, but it should be reviewed.
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

There were no more cars because anyone not pitted along the first row didn't know that it was time for group 2
I new eventually someone would miss me!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

We've missed you all season. At least come & visit; we need your twisted humor. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

Absolutely Morgan, stop by Weatherly and say hi to everyone, your name comes up all the time in conversation!
It would be great to see you! We all miss you more than you know.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Mwilson wrote: I new eventually someone would miss me!
Morg! I've missed you for more than this! When are you getting another car? Will you at least be at the banquet? How have you been?

Grace
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Mazdahead wrote:I was in line and got out of line figuring that I was going to wait for it to dry out in 15 minutes or so. I needed a tenth to win my class that was taken away on the previous run by my competitor. I was not all that upset, but would have liked to have had a reasonable chance to get it back. If his run was disqualified I would have won and had the record too! I don't know what is fair, but I figured he set the time so I have to live with it. I did not have the opportunity to run in the morning because I was flagging and would have liked the chance is all I am saying. It was hot, a lot of drivers left or were packing up so the call seemed reasonable to me, but never gave the number of runs a thought. I go with what ever the official call will be about this, but it should be reviewed.
Yes -- this has always been the weak link to having drivers volunteer for even half a day -- on Sunday, no guarantee that you have the same # of runs in AM as PM. Not sure of a way to rectify it. Thank you and also George for working the start line anyway!

I hope no runs are disqualified (I believe we are speaking about 2 cars), and only that we look at communications for the next event.
MGB GT-R
Novice
Current Racecar: #3 MG B GT

Post by MGB GT-R »

I was one of the two cars out in the rain! I run group 2, but there was a timing error and my previous run times were not recorded. I jumped back in line (at the tail end of group 1), when it started to rain. Everyone bailed out and I took a timed lap before pulling back into the pits. I was kinda bummed about the event ending early, hoping I could get back onto a dry track. But ehh, it was still a good weekend.