2014 Duryea Hillclimb

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

2014 Duryea Hillclimb

Post by Rich Rock »

Online registration should open at 12:01am Tuesday July 1.
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: 2014 Duryea Hillclimb

Post by Rich Rock »

No major changes in the event from last year. Free dogs and burgers Friday evening during registration at tower. Party at same place as last year on Saturday. We will have door prizes and auction items, proceeds go to the flagpole fund. Please consider donating something for that!

Cornerworker contest just like last year. (sponsored by CJ's)

Car show on Sunday with lunchtime parade.

Live music at bandshell on Sunday.

Awards at tower, end of day Sunday.

We'll be there early Friday setting up the hill, setting up timing, etc. We welcome all help!
Tim Murphy
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 68
Current Racecar: Blue wankel (Rennie)

Post by Tim Murphy »

Thank You everyone involved this years Duyrea .
It keeps getting better every year.
Wankers really appreciate the porta john.
Sorry we don't stick around after the event, leaving before the trophy ceremony we still didn't arrive home until after midnight.
Mayor of Wankerville
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Thanks for saying "Thanks" ! Planning for next year has already begun. We used a bunch of "oil-dri" so we need to buy more of that. I think we wore out some brooms too, so we need more of them.

A few years ago BMR stopped using conventional oil-dri and bought several bags of the "good stuff". More than double the cost, but more than twice as fast cleaning up spills. If you were one of the people in line when we needed to do a cleanup, thinking it was taking a long time, all I can say is it would have taken waaaay longer were we still using the old stuff.

Thanks again, see you at Jefferson!
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Rich,
Donna, John, Chuck and I worked turn #4 at Duryea. We experienced some of the oil spew over the weekend and needed to use the "good stuff". It worked GREAT! Donna would dump the "good stuff" and I swept it. There was a significant amount of oil we needed to take care of and in the middle of the dumping and sweeping we were told the event was running short of the "good stuff", so we cut back.

Also, as the "good stuff" was being laid down, we were told we didn't need to lay down as much of the "good stuff" as we did and therefore less was applied to the road.

Perhaps information about application procedures for this material can be passed along to be announced at the worker's meeting so we know what we are working with and how to use it?

Thanks!
Mary Anne

PS: Is it true the “good stuff” is made from ground up rice hulls? If so, I believe Mr. Evil would be against the use of this material since his carbon footprint would be decreased by a smidge.
;)
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Thanks for the feedback! For next year, I will ask Mike to give cornerworkers instruction for proper use.

The stuff we use is not ground rice hulls, but I can't remember exactly what it is. We may be using a different product next year. What we have been using, we got from Maple Grove Dragstrip, thanks to George Ackerman. Today, George told me the dragstrip did a test this past year, inviting various companies to come and demonstrate their product in a "cleanup competition".

BMR will likely purchase whatever was judged to be the best, and when we do, I'll post product info here.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Rich, thanks to you and George for tracking down the best alternative. It probably wouldn't hurt to coordinate with the other events sites to see if they would be interested in a group buy. At the very least I can see the benefit of having a limited quantity on hand for the course truck. I'll be happy to check with some of the other event people this weekend or later if BMR doesn't mind sharing the secret of the best brand.
~Matt Rowe
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I was thinking the same thing, group purchase. The stuff we've been using is sold as "quikleen" www.quikleen.net. Its more expensive than I remembered, about $20/bag shipped. We'll wait to see what Maple Grove has chosen before deciding. Hard to imagine what could be better, though, except maybe the price.

In my opinion it isn't worth the money for use in a home garage or small business, but well worth it for PHA events.
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Maybe Maple Grove would be interested in going in on a group buy with the PHA?
#30 A-Sedan Mustang