Hillclimbers - Come to the Dragon MARCH 22-23!

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

tedebayer
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 88
Current Racecar: Jedi Formula Hillclimber
CSP Miata - Elvira
IT7 Mazda RX7
BMW M Roadster - Daily Driver

Hillclimbers - Come to the Dragon MARCH 22-23!

Post by tedebayer »

Fellow Hillclimbers - the SCCA Central Carolinas Region Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb has been growing each event!

We have been thrilled with the many new drivers and cars we are seeing at our events and the stories that spread through forums of "dragon slayage"! In fact, the Dragon Hillclimb in Robbinsville, NC is the basis for articles that will be appearing in upcoming issues of Grassroots Motorsports and Porsche Club of America's Excellence Magazine. We have seen a truly unique field with cars like :

ImageImage Image Image

The road... is 2.3 miles long... guard rails and earthen walls... 1000 feet of elevation with challenging switchbacks and esses... all surrounded by the beautiful Nantahala Forests. The view out the front window is awesome.... http://vimeo.com/69052773

The GRAHAM COUNTY community LOVES Hillclimbing... over 20 local businesses have sponsored cars (in form of food, discounted lodging, gas and sponsor money. The Dragon Hillclimb brought over $1 Million dollars to Graham County last year in food, lodging and sundries. The kids line up for autographs and pictures with drivers and the local high school cheerleaders serve as umbrella girls and trophy presenters.
ImageImage Image Image

There is only one thing we have been missing... and that is more drivers from the PHA gang! We have been crossing the Mason Dixon line and coming up to your events for years... but we have not had many of you come run with us (Stinsmans and Deitzel excluded... we loved having you all!) The reason is our dates... they were constantly on top of PHA dates due to SCCA calendar and Graham County Tourism Schedules. THIS year... we fixed that. :) I am proud to announce the SCCA Dragon VI Hillclimb will be held March 22-23, 2014!

Between your PHA end of year banquet and your first hillclimb is a long long long.... long long... long time. PLEASE... come share the Dragon Hillclimb. We'd love to have you with us! We are expecting a good crowd so keep this date open... and I will let you know on this forum as soon as registration is open. You will have a substantial advantage as our drivers are used to the summer heat at the Dragon... the 64 degree temps in Graham County in March will freeze us Southerners and... will seem pretty balmy for you guys! Look forward to seeing you at the Dragon! MORE INFO at http://www.dragonhillclimb.com

tedebayer
Novice
CSP Miata - Elvira
IT7 Mazda RX7

Re: Hillclimbers - Come to the Dragon MARCH 22-23!

Post by tedebayer »

Come on guys... not one comment? Not one..."I'll come represent PHA!" :shock:
I would love to see some of the best come and compete... I think there would be surprises from both groups!

I'm trying to think what excuse you could have for not coming....
1.) "Event is on top of ours...." not this time. We planned JUST FOR YOU!
2.) "It's too cold..." No way. Your Spring is colder than our Winter!
3.) "Your course is twice as long as ours..." We have signs, I promise, you won't get lost. :lol:
4.) "The government is not working." Well.. the Government wasn't working when it was open... what's new?

Guys (and gals) , the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association is the oldest and best managed hillclimb series in the US. The drivers that have come through your ranks in the past are remarkable and you presently have MANY of the best hillclimbers in the US in your group today. We are growing rapidly here in the Southeast and hillclimb is making a strong come back. Participation in Southeastern Time Trial events is up over 50% this year and the Dragon IV Hillclimb had the most entries we have had at a hillclimb since 1995 at the last Chimney Rock. We are working on opening a new hillclimb site in the summer of 2014 at another State Park in NC... a beautiful twisty 2.5 mile road with lots of elevation.

Your support and your representation would be greatly appreciated. We would love to have you involved and would love to work with you to form a US Hillclimb Championship. We have sent many of our guys up your way and we have greatly enjoyed running with PHA. Now, please give us the chance to return the hospitality. If I can be of assistance in any way... from lodging, directions, etc... please contact me at editor@thesoutherndriver.com I'd be GLAD to help!

Note : Jerry Kieft built a special purposed hillclimb car and called it the BANDIT. That car is now in the hands of one Morg Wilson ... Jerry called it the Bandit because he planned to "come south and rob the Southerners of the trophy at Chimney Rock." He did so successfully. I think you will find that's a lot harder to do now at the Dragon... but please, come try! :P Every winner of the King of the Hill Dragonslayer sword so far has been a resident of the South... Cory Friedman, George Bowland and Heikki Rinta-Koski.... although Jeremy Deitzel and Cameron Lane gave them a GOOD run for the prize! Read over the articles coming to press, check your schedule.. and we would love to see you at the Dragon!

Thanks!
Ted Theodore
Dragon Hillclimb Manager
SCCA SEDIV Time Trial Administrator
DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

Post by DaveM »

Hi Ted,

I have it on my calendar, and currently plan to make it down. Thanks for working around the PHA schedule. George Bowland has filled me in on the difficulties of doing that in he past.

Cheers

Dave Merritt
tedebayer
Novice
CSP Miata - Elvira
IT7 Mazda RX7

Post by tedebayer »

Awesome Dave! Thanks!
We'll do our best to make it worth your trip!
Ohhhh... and don't worry about the southern Rebels.
We are far more concerned about old knights running around with swords...
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

How is the pit area? Can I get in there with a 26' motorhome with a trailer (o/a length 42')? Are the pits remote from the start line?
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

tedebayer wrote:Come on guys... not one comment? Not one..."I'll come represent PHA!" :shock:
I would love to see some of the best come and compete... I think there would be surprises from both groups!

I'm trying to think what excuse you could have for not coming....
1.) "Event is on top of ours...." not this time. We planned JUST FOR YOU!
2.) "It's too cold..." No way. Your Spring is colder than our Winter!
3.) "Your course is twice as long as ours..." We have signs, I promise, you won't get lost. :lol:
4.) "The government is not working." Well.. the Government wasn't working when it was open... what's new?
5.) "It's like 12 hours away or something"

I do want to come to one at some point. Could very well be the one you speak of. Maybe if more of you guys showed up to our events these guys would be more willing to make the trip....
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

This is a great Hill for anyone thinking of going!

You will not find a more scenic area to hold a hillclimb then this. Also, the roads around there are some of the coolest roads in the country. I would suggest taking an extra day or two to stay and enjoy the lake or to just drive around on the roads. (tail of the dragon is right there!)

As for the competition, you will find some very fast drivers down there that will make for some great class battles. And, for you guys that like to go chase records. There are some pretty solid ones in a bunch of classes.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
m1bes
Novice
Current Racecar: 178 blazer

Post by m1bes »

Well as it stands right now I am planning on coming down to run it........did not say I was going to be very fast LOL..I do hope there is some big spots to park because I have a very long rig.

Hope for a good winter Butch #178
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

John, I think there would be enough room for you to bring the camper and trailer up there. The problem is there is no Camping in the pits. But, there is a campground at the base of the hill.

Butch, If your talking about your big rig setup i would suggest you give Ted a call or email him. You will have some trouble trying to get around down there. These are some of the twistiest roads i have ever been on.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
m1bes
Novice
Current Racecar: 178 blazer

Post by m1bes »

Jeremy I am and I have took the big truck up Duryea and down it but I will give him an email and thanks for the heads up too....... also are you planning on doing Mt.Washington ????

Thanks Butch#178
LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

Post by LARRY LONG »

If anyone going down to this event has room for an extra passenger I would like to go along to take video. I would of course help with the fuel cost. Send me a personal message or use my e-mail mycar39@hotmail.com.

Larry Long