Spring Weatherly

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Spring Weatherly

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, where do I start.

It was a nice event. The weather was beyond perfect on Sunday. So the performance of the Mach should have been way better than it was. I'm still not sure what the motor was doing when I was driving but I certainly know what it did on Nancy's last run.

Those of you who saw her sitting at the top of the hill, there was good reason for that. I completely tore the motor apart today and found this:

This is the oil pump. For those of you who are not familiar with the mod motors, this pump is driven off the crank shaft. It mounts on the front of the motor and you can see the cut outs in the center of the drive gear that correspond to notches on the crank. Well, that gear should NOT have cracks in it and there shouldn't be a piece missing. The oil routing is out of the pump, thru the filter and back into the motor. I am certain that when we cut open the filter, probably tomorrow, we'll find that piece.

So, what is damaged. A lot. 4 of the 5 journals for the exhaust cam on the passenger side are wiped out. 3 journals on the exhaust cam on the drivers side head are wiped out. The #8 and #1 rod bearings are wiped out. The #7 rod bearing was severely damaged. The oil passage out of the crank on the #8 rod is clogged with bearing material. With the lock up of the motor, even though they don't appear to be damaged, all the cam gears, chains, tensioners and relateds, need to be replaced. Basically, all-but a rebuild. We'll need to buy 2 rods at a minimum. They're black as can be. I'm REALLY hoping the material on the crank, from the bearings, can be taken off. If so, we'll be in better shape. I seriously don't want to buy a new crank....hell I don't want to buy any of it but....that's racin!

The oil pumps in the Aluminators occasionally go bad. In retrospect, I should have just upgraded to the Melling pump, but that's history now. It'll be on the purchase list very shortly.

What is good is that no rings were damaged. The cylinder walls still look brand new with the factory hash marks and all. Otherwise, I'd be considering cancelling the rest of the season.

At this point, I'm not sure how many races we'll run. Duryea is a given that we'll run. I have a target there so I gotta run it.

The REAL bummer about Weatherly is that few noticed the 'RIP "Bumper" ' on the back windshield. I put it on before we went up that weekend. I should have had the lettering way bigger but I thought that more would see it with the black rear windshield and the white lettering. Oh well. It'll be on there at Duryea.

So that's the report. It's bad but maybe not as bad as could have been. We'll be back to race another day soon. And we won't be absent from any races. I'll be up doin the novice thing with John or we'll be working during the event.

We'll see ya'll at Pagoda!!! Can't wait. Yeah, I'm odd. I get excited whether we're running or not.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Re: Spring Weatherly

Post by Sue Salsburg »

The oil pump photo is way too familiar to me. About 10 years ago, Moss sold a whole production run of MG oil pumps. Fit A's, B's & MGTDs. The rotors snapped after one or two races. Pretty much wiped out the MG fields at several big Vintage events. We escaped because I hadn't needed to rebuild yet. You might want to check if others have had the same failure - Moss did cover a bit toward repairs. As for Weatherly - it did seem like there was a hole without Bumper & Chicken Gorski. I'm feeling old. See you at Pagoda.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Number 56
Novice

Post by Number 56 »

Yep Sue we miss Chicker Man. Came every year and every now and then He would get a car to start and raced the event. One year he ran one of my Formula Vee's with his son Jon and they had a blast, no maintenance for them. My brother and I worked the turns with him in the 1960's and early 1970's. He was even the event chair at one time.

Also Bumper will be missed. Talked to him at the turn around many times. He always had a good time working the event.

Hughie
The real number 56
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Steve! You were using the Ford oil pump?!? NO NO! It's a tough bullet but pay the $350 for a high end chrome-moly Billet Steel Rotors pump, but pay it! Those Ford pumps are cast crap and vibration (like the blower belt) issue you were having will crack the gear. I hope you are getting better advice on this next build. I heard about the parts you are using from Ford and I hope it all works out for you my friend.

I missed the rear window sticker too but I will sure look for it next time. Bumper lived for Weatherly HillClimb and even though some drivers didn't know him or about him he sure knew all of us. I talked to him throughout the year but the weeks leading up to any Weatherly HillClimb he would call a lot and make sure I could give him a ride. I miss the guy and we will never have a better turnaround guy then he was.
Regards,

Tim Royer
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, I got the one from Melling and after speaking to a buddy of mine, it's going back. I ordered the TSS oil pump. Probably the same as the MMR one. Sounds like they are probably the same or close to it.
So, I'll rebuild and come back with more hp with the option of additional if need be. Probably going to order a pulley or 2 from Procharger, just in case. Either way, I'm getting excited for Duryea!!!!!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!