Fire extinguisher location and mounting ?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Fire extinguisher location and mounting ?

Post by gmreider »

I have read the TTR rules and GCR and will be using a 2 lb ABC unit . I have been told by several people that the unit must be all metal and have two mounting straps instead of one.
I was also told that it should be located so that it can be reached when buckled in the seat. I can't reach much of anything except the key , steering wheel and shifter when buckled in.
Why does the GCR & TTR rules not state these points? Or is there local Region interpretation of all the rules?
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Re: Fire extinguisher location and mounting ?

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I'll let the Real Tech Inspectors give you the official wording but this is one of those silly left-over rules. Nobody can reach their fire bottle when belted in. In theory, it was supposed to be handy for a corner worker to grab but that won't happen either. The metal bracket is so it won't break loose & hit you in a crash. Comes from an incident many years ago. Relax, if you have a problem at Tech, we'll help you fix it. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

This is a quote from the TTR:
"10.19. FIRE SYSTEM
All cars shall meet one of the following minimum requirements:
1. On-board fire systems per GCR 9.3.23.A.
2. Halon 1301 or 1211, two (2) pound minimum capacity by weight.
3. Dry chemical, two (2) pound minimum with a positive indicator showing charge. Chemical: 10 BC Underwriters Laboratory
rating, potassium bicarbonate (Purple K) recommended, 1A10BC Underwriters Laboratory rating multipurpose, ammonium
phosphate and barium sulfate or Monnex.
The fire extinguisher shall be securely mounted in the cockpit. All mounting brackets shall be metal and of the quick-release type.
"
gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Post by gmreider »

Thanks for the replys SUE and NELSON. I'm getting a little paranoid as Duryea comes closer. This will be my first hill since 1973 Shafferstown. There are a lot of details to worry about and I don't want troubles Friday night for my first Tech.
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Gary - I hope you will be entertaining us with stories from " back in the day". Stop by the Jag & Mini at the top of the hill: I'll pjy you with cocktails for Tales of Olde. Fuzzly pictures get cookies with the booze. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta