2012 Change with Tech

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

2012 Change with Tech

Post by TKnorr »

A few changes are in store for tech as passed at the April PHA Meeting. First 2012 PHA Helmet Stickers will be available to all entrants once their helmet has been checked for the Snell date.
Tech sheets will also change... all entrants will be required to check all safety items prior to the event and sign the tech sheet validating that all items have been inspected. The car will still be inspected at each event as in the past. Tech sheets will soon be available on the PHA website and eventually be added to event entry forms. As in the past, tech sheets will also be available at each event. Also, whether you have had an annual tech or not, a tech sheet must be submitted at each event. It may take some time as we transition to this new form. This format will allow a tech inspecter to tech a car prior to the opening of registration.
After completing a annual tech, a Annual Tech Sticker will be provided to place on the left front side of the car.
Tom Knorr, PHA President
Tom Knorr
sgmotorsports
Novice

Re: 2012 Change with Tech

Post by sgmotorsports »

Tom, with this process, how do we assure that the driver has actually registered for the event and presented all of the necessary credentials to assure the driver is able to race? Who will be responsible for policing?
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

Easy answer to that question.

Registration gives registered entries to timing.

If you show up at start without being registered, timing will flag you. Must be registered to run.

Rick Kase
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Post by georgebowland »

As usual, the PHA leads the pack in efforts to make events more driver friendly and also less work for the officials. All race organizations can benefit from the PHA approach. It's great to be associated with the best series in the country.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

I'm sure this was discussed in the meeting, but I walked in during the middle of the discussion and missed it...

Am I understanding the new tech sheet process correctly? Entrants will be responsible for checking their own safety equipment (suit, gloves, helmet, etc.), and not the tech inspector? Or did you mean we fill out the top part of the sheet as we normally do (or whatever part of the new form has our name, car info, etc. on it), and the tech inspector fills out the rest after checking our safety equipment?

As far as the annual tech on the car itself goes, we still need to have our log book stamped for the annual, right? I realize the members voted for the annual tech stickers, so this is a done deal, but was wondering what problem the sticker was intended to solve?

Do we still fill out our log book for every event?

If the entrants are filling out the their own inspection on the safety items, and they have an annual tech, then what is left for the tech inspector to look at? It seems like they have no reason to even look at the car, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Grace
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Tech will still be done as it was in the past. This sheet is a reference for the driver to help them pre-inspect their car. The tech inspectors will still do the tech at the events. Once I get it I will put one with every entry form so that you have them before the event and can at least have the information filled out. If you use it to inspect your own car, that is up to you.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

So the tech sheet is for 2 purposes - we are adding a step to have the driver pre-inspect his/her own car, plus are allowing tech to be done before registration.

I still don't understand the reason for the annual tech inspection sticker ( unless it is for the sake of adding another sticker to our cars -- I hear each sticker is good for a 2 second reduction in run time). What problem is it solving? Sorry if it was discussed in the meeting and I missed it, but I came in during the discussion and never once heard anyone state what problem they were solving with it.

Grace
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Grace,
Nothing has really has been changed on how tech is done, just more user friendly. The logbook and annuals will stay the same, except the car will get an annual tech sticker instead
of an event sticker that will be good for a whole season unless something bad happens.
Tech sheets can be downloaded and filled out before the event, this allows tech to be done without the need for registation to be open.
Hope this helps.
Rich Sweigart
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Sounds great to me! I always have a short fuse at Weatherly/Giant's waiting for the tech sheets to show up. SInce we're all getting to Weatherly so early to park, it will mean we can get teched quickly & start serious drinking sooner. And less flapping stickers on my car for wind drag! Yeah right. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

If someone supplies me with the form, I will add it on the schedule/results page for download.
Send it to DLWit@comcast.net
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Mazdahead wrote:If someone supplies me with the form, I will add it on the schedule/results page for download.
Could this be done in an Adobe PDF format where you can type the information directly onto the form and use "check boxes" for items such as helmets, etc. ? Adobe forms are great if you have the program to use for the PHA. It also helps make the forms more legible for those who have chicken scratch penmanship, like me.

Haha, another aid to help Sue reach the goal of starting serious drinking sooner!
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Maybe I missed it but are the tech sheets out yet. I was just getting ready to register for Jefferson and thought about it. Thats what I get when I think too much!
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

As far as I know they are not out yet.
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

Nelson wrote:As far as I know they are not out yet.
We're 5 days out.
Are there going to be Tech Sheets available on line to download prior to the event????????
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

Since there is no official Chief of Tech I suppose there has been no action taken on this matter.
I will look thru my old documents to see if I have an old tech sheet, but I do not think I have one.
If someone can even scan an old one and send it I will create a new one just like it for the website.
Anyone have any announcements before Summit please let me know, I can post them.
Send the to DLWit@comcast.net
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

I just sent the modified tech sheet to Dale. If you email me I will email one back to you in Adobe format. I modified the as per instructions from Tom Knorr and Rich Rock.
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

The form is available on our web site at http://pahillclimb.net/drivers/new-driver-info/rules/
I added the form on multiple pages so anyone should be able to find it if they are looking.