Duryea stuff

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Hunter
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 168

Re: Duryea stuff

Post by Hunter »

Hey Rich.

Make sure you have the gate to Wankerville unlocked early. Cannon and I should be there by 10-11 am.
#168 SMF Honda Civic
yallgotboost
Novice
Current Racecar: Mazda rx7

Post by yallgotboost »

Awesome event thanks everyone!!
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Car Show Exhibition Run

Post by Mr2 »

Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

CONGRATULATIONS MERLIN MILLER

I don't know where Merlin found all that speed but his victory at Duryea was a big upset. Just when you thought he got the best run he could do, he'd chop another second off. FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE by the BMR Region RE.

This was FAST or should I say SCAREY FAST weekend. I didn't look at any statistics but my guess there were no more records broken than usual (I didn't get to the trophy presentation) but there are classes that the cars are really achieving some outlandish speeds. The challenge of rising to the top was costly on equipment both external and internal damages. Again I have no statistics, just a seat of the pants observation. Damages were heavy but only on hardware and pride.

Also, congratulations to all Class Winners, Record Breakers and Novices that completed the event with favorable log book entries. The best news is, we all live to race another day.

Dave Yeager
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

dspgti wrote:CONGRATULATIONS MERLIN MILLER

I don't know where Merlin found all that speed but his victory at Duryea was a big upset. Just when you thought he got the best run he could do, he'd chop another second off. FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE by the BMR Region RE.

This was FAST or should I say SCAREY FAST weekend. I didn't look at any statistics but my guess there were no more records broken than usual (I didn't get to the trophy presentation) but there are classes that the cars are really achieving some outlandish speeds. The challenge of rising to the top was costly on equipment both external and internal damages. Again I have no statistics, just a seat of the pants observation. Damages were heavy but only on hardware and pride.

Also, congratulations to all Class Winners, Record Breakers and Novices that completed the event with favorable log book entries. The best news is, we all live to race another day.

Dave Yeager
Those "doorslammers" are getting quite quick aren't they? Can't wait to point out the percentage in the top 10-20 that were street cars.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

must have been good grip! I was working the start line, Skip broke 2 chains, Butch broke a drive shaft, Bill's Audi broke 2 axels. so the traction was there
THOR
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Great drive by Merlin! When he ripped off a 112.0 on his first run sunday i knew he had more in him, and i wasn't ready to push the battle any furthur. He made me go faster then i ever have on the hill and i tried my best to keep ahead. In the end, he was just too fast for me this past weekend. Congrats!

I would like to see average times for duryea over the past few years. I cannot remember as many people under 2 min or as close to 2 min as i saw this past weekend.

Thanks to everyone involved with this event. BMR has one of the best hillclimb's in the US. going with this event. This event is started to attract some great new additions to the PHA family. (some couldv'e started off alittle easier)
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

jerdeitzel wrote: This event is started to attract some great new additions to the PHA family. (some couldv'e started off alittle easier)
Splain that one Jer. Don't know what you mean?

Let's put Statboy on the request for average time over the past few years. Maybe answer Mark A's question on "door slammer's" vs. "Real Race Cars". Sounds like a lot of work. Are you up for it Tim?

What impressed me the most this weekend is the level of preperation in both performance and safety modifications in many of the cars that far exceed SCCA specifications. If they (newbies) can be so well prepared, why do we have to drag everyone else kicking and screaming into submission? Some people just get "if I'm going to go faster, maybe I should have some protection if things go wrong" and others don't.

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Revise request for stats:

Number or percent or entries under 2 minutes. Maybe that is a no brainer since we have both real race cars and street cars under 2 minutes. I'm ceratin it will be an increase but maybe more of a shock than we realize.

Dave Y
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Oh them dern'd door slammers!!!!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

dspgti wrote:
jerdeitzel wrote: This event is started to attract some great new additions to the PHA family. (some couldv'e started off alittle easier)
Splain that one Jer. Don't know what you mean?

Let's put Statboy on the request for average time over the past few years. Maybe answer Mark A's question on "door slammer's" vs. "Real Race Cars". Sounds like a lot of work. Are you up for it Tim?

What impressed me the most this weekend is the level of preperation in both performance and safety modifications in many of the cars that far exceed SCCA specifications. If they (newbies) can be so well prepared, why do we have to drag everyone else kicking and screaming into submission? Some people just get "if I'm going to go faster, maybe I should have some protection if things go wrong" and others don't.

Dave Y
I read Jer's post that he is saying a lot of novices wrecked.

On the preparation thing, I find it laughable that the street cars keep getting targeted (or more specifically, Dan Reed and myself practically, not many other 4 point guys left, next car will have one too) when you have numerous formula cars whose owners will surely die if they rolled over. Maybe they should be looked at rather than street cars who have rollover protection designed into the chassis without the absolute jokes we call rollbars (read, anything made by Autopower with their 1" square floor plates that will just go through the floor in a rollover anyway). My Cobalt is safer with me in a t-shirt and the stock seatbelt than most of the Formula cars at these hills. Keep trying to "drag us into submission". There is one thing and one thing only that will, SCCA rules. That is the only reason my car has that joke of a bar in it anyway.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Hey wait a second here!!!! My autopower is only going thru the floor up to the door bars. It aint goin thru any farther than that.

If I have to weld it in, I'm gonna put a torque arm in too so I can connect the subframes and make it safer.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Post by georgebowland »

Mark,
I can't disagree that formula cars are by design, somewhat more dangerous than fully caged cars like NASCAR. But formula cars have always occupied that position, and that won't change as long as drivers want to go faster than big cars can go.

I should also note that every driver that has died since I started hillclimbing 28 years ago, was in a fully enclosed car. In my memory, that applies to hillclimbs across the pond also.

I broke my formula car in half on a tree in 1990 at Chimney Rock Hillclimb, and only spent a week in the hospital. A light formula car scrubs speed quickly when sliding sideways or under braking. I have recorded over 3 Gs under braking several times.

What we do is very dangerous.....thats why we exist as such a small community. Running under the limit insures a long career in this sport and the oposite is also true.
George
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

georgebowland wrote:Mark,
I can't disagree that formula cars are by design, somewhat more dangerous than fully caged cars like NASCAR. But formula cars have always occupied that position, and that won't change as long as drivers want to go faster than big cars can go.

I should also note that every driver that has died since I started hillclimbing 28 years ago, was in a fully enclosed car. In my memory, that applies to hillclimbs across the pond also.

I broke my formula car in half on a tree in 1990 at Chimney Rock Hillclimb, and only spent a week in the hospital. A light formula car scrubs speed quickly when sliding sideways or under braking. I have recorded over 3 Gs under braking several times.

What we do is very dangerous.....thats why we exist as such a small community. Running under the limit insures a long career in this sport and the oposite is also true.
George
I agree with everything you posted George. I hope I didn't come off in my post that Formula car safety should be scrutinized, quite the opposite. Just tired of hearing over and over that we are somehow wrong for having a four point cage in a full street car, like I want to drive to work everyday with an 8 point cage in my street car. Some refuse to acknowledge that there are some of us who are in times where a separate race car is not an option financially (or otherwise). I guess I just don't get the intense desire to require something that like 3 people don't have. Someone tell me how many people had 4 points under 2 minutes at Duryea? Answer, 1. Under 125? 1 other. Under 130? 1. So three people under 130 with 4 point bars. 2 in the top 20 (myself and Dan R).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I get it. I am not going to leave the sport if they require "cages". I just find it a worthless cause to champion. Some of just want to race, and would like to be left alone. They are going to require it eventually anyway. Some of you won't be satisfied until we are in a goddamn plastic bubble. Remember what we all do here, drive up a mountain road approaching speeds of 120 mph (and exceeding it). It isn't exactly safe, let us not kid ourselves.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Mark, I think Dave just likes to fuel the fire. Everyone in their right mind wants one of those nicely prepped racecars that we saw from our Dent sport garage folks and their friends. But, as Mark said its not always in the cards for everyone. Out of all the wreck's this past weekend it looks as if a roll bar wouldve been fine.

. Enough said about this!

How about those cool new cars? Some very nice stuff out racing.

Oh, and i think what George is saying is that we are never catching him in our doorslammers! LOL (and he's right) :)
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

jerdeitzel wrote:Mark, I think Dave just likes to fuel the fire. Everyone in their right mind wants one of those nicely prepped racecars that we saw from our Dent sport garage folks and their friends. But, as Mark said its not always in the cards for everyone. Out of all the wreck's this past weekend it looks as if a roll bar wouldve been fine.

. Enough said about this!

How about those cool new cars? Some very nice stuff out racing.

Oh, and i think what George is saying is that we are never catching him in our doorslammers! LOL (and he's right) :)
Dave and I both enjoy pouring gasoline on the proverbial fire.

Yeah, I highly doubt we will be catching George in our doorslammers anytime soon.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Yes it was great too see a bunch of new faces and and some really nice cars this weekend. It just goes to show how popular DURYEA is getting.

Congats to everyone who broke a record (you know who you are) and thanks to the BMR for putting on another wonderful event. Also thanks too the poor corner workers who had to clean up my oil mess and the other mishaps of the weekend. You all did a spectacular job. The hill was allways ready for a 11/10ths run

On a side note.....Since this event does draw such a large number of racers howabout making it a three day event. I'm sure I'm asking for way too much ( I know it's not that easy) but it dosen't hurt to ask!
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Congratulations to the new members of the under 2 minutes club at Duryea.

Alex Grabau
Steve Lewis
Brian Halecki
Kevin Rhoads
There were a total of 9 under 2 minutes this year.
Over the years the 2 minute mark was beat a total of 78 times by 37 different drivers.