Giants Newspaper Coverage

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mark Aubele
Novice

Re: Giants Newspaper Coverage

Post by Mark Aubele »

georgebowland wrote:Steve,
Like you, I am very impressed with the Street Mod cars, and especially Dan Reed this year. That said, please let me give you a reference point when you are looking for six to eight seconds to get to FTD. It took me 23 years and three stages of home built cars to improve from my hill record run at weatherly in 1987 of 54.237 to my 2010 record of 47.715. Now that required much better tires, a car with twice the horsepower, and a car with 30% less weight. Not to mention a better road surface and 23 more years of hillclimb experience.

While the Street Mod cars are improving, I have to tell you that you absolutely won't believe what that next seven seconds looks like from the driver's perspective on the hill.
George
George, you are on another level from us. I doubt Steve was speaking of you or Daryl (sp? sorry) or others when making the comment on catching the real race cars. SM will never catch those cars, as they should not be able to keep up. We (well, me hopefully along with those guys in the near future) will continue to keep all of you in our sights as the ultimate goal. It has been exciting to show up back in '06 and start to show what these street cars are capable of, and watch Jer, Dan, Steve, and Mike continue to show what legitimate street legal cars are capable of doing. Remember, all of these cars are driven on the street pretty regularly, and we still have not seen anything approaching a full on SM build (or SSM). Hope we see one in the near future.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Hunter
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 168

Post by Hunter »

Mark Aubele wrote:
George, you are on another level from us. I doubt Steve was speaking of you or Daryl (sp? sorry) or others when making the comment on catching the real race cars. SM will never catch those cars, as they should not be able to keep up. We (well, me hopefully along with those guys in the near future) will continue to keep all of you in our sights as the ultimate goal. It has been exciting to show up back in '06 and start to show what these street cars are capable of, and watch Jer, Dan, Steve, and Mike continue to show what legitimate street legal cars are capable of doing. Remember, all of these cars are driven on the street pretty regularly, and we still have not seen anything approaching a full on SM build (or SSM). Hope we see one in the near future.
[/quote]

Hey don't forget about the SMF cars. Right now my weight is 2340lbs or so with me in the car. Next year there will be an even lighter civic with more power racing. I think there is a good chance SMF can beat the SM or SSM cars on hills like Weatherly. That is one goal I do have for myself along with staying in the top 15 for all the events I can. Hell I ran a 60.5 at Weatherly with only 8lbs of boost rather than the 18lbs I normally run. I definitely need to work on the areo and my driving skills to run my car at it's full potential. There's also quite a bit more that can be gotten out of the engine if it's necessary. That engine should put down well over 300hp if needed.
#168 SMF Honda Civic
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

When you all get done adding horsepower to your " door slammers", you can save a bit for Gracie. After all, she has FOUR doors to slam. And given British locks, slamming is the key word. I put her on the chassis dyno last year at a club event: try to get your "boost brains" around the idea of 134 hp at the rear wheels of a 4,000 lb car. Maybe a Honda motor in the trunk? I want to run SMS - Street Mod Slow. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Mark, you make it sound like over 400 horse power is chump change. :lol:

I forgot to mention in my previous posting regarding door slammers improvement is "reducing weight". :mrgreen:

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

How did this thread turn into a Street Mod cheast beating rant.

Dave Y
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Very funny thread!

Minimum weight on a RWD SM car is 2400lb's, Who is close? My car is 300lb's overweight on the 2700lb AWD weight, and 100-150hp down on power.

I will just sit back and wait. My SM records are still all there! :P

FTD takes a huge combo of things to get. That is why its such a huge accomplishment. It by no means, is ever a giving!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

LOL! I started with a smart assed comment combined with a nitrous comment and here we are.

Sue, just the simple fact that your car gets up the hill without rolling over in a corner is an absolute accomplishment. Anyone else who thinks it's in the 'slow' catagory, really needs to be in the passenger seat. Finishing time for that car doesn't tell any part of the story. That thing is down right scary to be inside at any speed over 10mph. Some may like waterboarding for terrorists....I say put them in the jag.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Don't be silly Steve - Gracie is too fat to roll over. Remember I tried that at Duryea. BTW, the motor is apart; maybe we can find a smidge more power in the somewhere. Sue( V-2 & StModSlow)
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta