Great Pics from Wellsboro Winter Rally

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

s4racing
Novice

Great Pics from Wellsboro Winter Rally

Post by s4racing »

http://photoamma.smugmug.com/Cars/Wells ... 5375_uCtat

It was a lot of fun! We finished 1st in class and 2nd overall. This was my navigators first time at any motorsports event and he loved it. I am going to try and get him to a few hills this season.

Bill III
rallynutdon
Novice

Re: Great Pics from Wellsboro Winter Rally

Post by rallynutdon »

I'd be curious to hear his thoughts after attending some hills after his first exposure was a rally (not that this one was a "typical" rally) :mrgreen: It must have been fun being a true "snow" event, not an ice event.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Congrats Bil! I was searching around this morning for some results and pics.

I bet that was fun!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

This was actually my second rally. I also competed in Rally New York in the same car in 2009. RNY is a full tarmac event. After over 20 years of racing this was my first experience on anything other than paved road.

The team aspect, endurance and the cultural difference of rally is very cool. However, I do have a very hard time coming to grips with the non-precise nature of the events. I really tried hard to understand, evaluate and execute going faster in the snow. I can honestly say that other than a trick or two, it was very difficult to feel that you were improving. At every corner of a stage I would try to use what I learned in the last corner with very little success. LOL If you tried to take a proper racing line, but you were out of the previous competitor’s grooves you lost a lot of time. If you thought you figured out how to drive the car through a corner without under steer, the very next corner the car would do the exact opposite. LOL One of the pros to rally, is the new found respect you have for the abuse a car can really take. I also noticed this at RNY. You can hit rocks and pot holes at well over normal speed limits and the suspension and wheels stay under the car. About half a dozen times this weekend, I thought for sure we did serious damage and in reality, we suffered none. For a con, I like my cars to much to be dedicated to a full rally schedule. To a rally driver, a car is only a disposable tool. Not to say that things can't and don't happen in other forms of racing, but it is not expected.

Too me hills are the ultimate form of racing. The sky is never bluer and the air is never cleaner, than when you are standing at the top of Duryea after having a run that is faster than your previous best!!!

I do recommend a winter rally to anyone who is considering rallying. The speeds are much lower and the chance for bodily harm is drastically reduced. It really was a lot of fun and I will do the event next year if they have it.

Bill III
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

Going to use that STPR entry? I'm sure you will learn a lot again.
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

One it's over the Ford Event here at Carlisle and two I really don't think the suspension would handle the abuse of STPR. It really is more of a tarmac suspension. I am sure the entry will go to good use 8)
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Very cool Bill! Congrats!

The snow flying around in some of those pictures was very impressive.

See ya at Carlisle at the Ford event. Hopefully a large contingent of Mach guys coming as usual. Lots of chatter all year about it on the Mach board. And if that guy makes me drive around the entire place again on race tires, instead of heading right to my parking spot, I'm gonna run him over! :evil: j/k...maybe.......
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!