PHA Shenandoah Time Trial July 23-24?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

PHA Shenandoah Time Trial July 23-24?

Post by Rich Rock »

I talked to Summit Point today. The Shenandoah Circuit is available for the July 23-24 weekend. The track rental is $5,000 /day. I figure total expenses to put on a 2-day event to be around $12,500, if I'm not forgetting anything. There's a good chance I'm forgetting something.

Entry fee would probably be around $250. So, I'm asking everyone to speak now. Would you enter this event? Would entering this event mean that you would skip another event? Do you think it should be an official PHA event? Would it matter? Would you be willing to work a corner part of a day so that the event could happen?

Don't think that you know my position on this. Don't read anything into the fact that I have explored this possibility.

Rich Rock
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: PHA Shenandoah Time Trial July 23-24?

Post by dspgti »

Rich,
Is the track approved for a SCCA Time Trial or PDX event?

Dave Y
marka
Novice

Post by marka »

Howdy,

I'd be interested, perhaps. Would the format be like Jefferson, or would there be passing / more track time / ??

That date is clear on my schedule, at least right now.

Mark
Hunter
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 168

Post by Hunter »

I would most definitely be interested running on that track.
#168 SMF Honda Civic
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Rich, spoke with dad on the phone, he is in, but can't post on here for some reson?
THOR
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

The track is approved for Level 3 Time Trial, just like we do on Jefferson. I'm not sure if Shenandoah is approved for limited passing, but I was thinking that the event would be very much like a Jefferson event.

At this time, I'm just pointing out that the track is available, and trying to gauge interest. I don't think I want to put BMR on the hook for the large track rental fee only to have 30 cars show up. Actually, I'm pretty sure I don't want to be the person in charge of making this happen. Any volunteers out there?

Rich Rock
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Ok, this is long, sorry.

Short version:

I'm in!

Long version:

I ran the WDC region track trials event on this track in Oct 2009 (which I believe was a level 2 event, not a level 3), and it was a lot of fun. I may even like this track better than the main track because it has a lot more turns (and I didn't run out of gear on the main straight). And it would be even more fun if full of PHA regulars :-). So yes, I am interested, despite the higher entry fee.

The only event I may not consider because of this one is the WDC PDX at this same track on 7/30. But I wasn't necessarily considering it in the first place (too close to Polish).

Despite my interest and my hope that it will actually happen, I would also hate to see the region sponsoring / PHA take a big loss.

I also miss Rose Valley but that is a totally separate topic :(

Maybe WDC region can help with entrants (and workers!). In fact, maybe they will be interested in helping with organization :-) (Matt Y, please don't kill me).

Note that the WDC event I ran was a combination PDX (2 day)/ Track Trials event (1 day) because the turn out was too low to make it Track Trials only. I think there were about 15 of us track trialers at this event, which included 3 of us from PHA.

On the other hand, if you made it a level 2 and not a level 3 (and not part of the PHA series), you may attract some of these drivers as well... Most did not have the safety reqs. to run level 3 :shock: -- not sure if we want to deal with that?

Also, there were 2 WDC events on the main track at Summit last Fall, and there were not many PHA members who showed up --5 of us for the Sept event, and 2 for the Oct one. Maybe the dates were bad? The weather was certainly great for both (but the stink bugs were bad).

If we are considering a format change...

The WDC track trials event was one day, had several 20 minute practice sessions in the morning where passing was allowed, and timed sessions in the afternoon where no passing was allowed.

I'd prefer the no passing allowed format for any timed session, since catching up to a car or being caught up to will affect your lap times. If you are the car catching up, you need to wait until there is an opportunity to pass, and if you are being caught up to, you may not drive full out to let the "bully" on your tail by. Sorry, but these are time trials, not road races, and I'm not interested in having someone I may or may not trust in a car that may or may not be in my league driving 2 inches from my bumper (or vice verse).

Also, you would need to use transponders if passing were allowed on timed laps -- add another $50 transponder rental to the entry fee for those without transponders -- and different timing software.

While I would personally like the format of 20 minute practice session(s) (where passing is allowed with a point by) followed by several timed laps (with no passing, but catchups are accommodated), this may not be something that many of our PHA regulars would be interested in. Some of our regular PHA competitors have cars designed for hillclimbs and cannot run for 20 minute sessions. Even though my car could do both, I would at least need to change tires -- not that I mind doing this, since I already purchased tires for longer sessions, but it might also mean that some of our PHA regulars would need a 2nd set of tires.

My personal vote would be for longer practice sessions (passing allowed) with fewer timed laps, but I realize I don't represent the majority, and would be happy with any format to drive on this track again :-)

Grace
Last edited by gdh57 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

Post by DaveM »

I am interested regardless of level and practice time structure. 8)
Fritzler
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 141
Current Racecar: Fritzler FT03

Post by Fritzler »

If it was in the "Jefferson format" I would be interested whether it is part of the official PHA schedule or not.

I would not be interested in the passing formats - but that's just me.

Bryan Fritzler
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Not interested in the least. Too expensive & we have too many flat track events as it is. I know, I'm a broken record that no one wants to hear. Time to check the New England schedule. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I am in 'consideration' mode. New motor getting ordered either today or tomorrow depending upon where I'm gonna have it shipped to. Still working that out.
Still not sure whether we are running N/A or FI. (ESP or SM)
I'm gonna go watch some in-car to determine if it's worth it. Any big straightaways??? Or at least something longer than Jefferson?
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

I agree with Grace.The Shenandoah track is a blast to drive.

I have run it in both directions and several differant configurations with FRCCA.

There a lot a diffent driving elements and elevation changes included a long straight and sweeping turn. They have excellant facilities including an air conditioned classroom, covered pic-nic area, power hook ups for camping, fuel pumps, restrooms with showers and snack bar.

The pricing is in line with most of the Southeast events I go to.

Transponders are the way to go, just to make life easy on the people doing timing and scoring. Ithink SCCA will actually loan transponders to clubs if requested. Transponders would be a must for running 15 or 20 minute sessions. The track is long enough to probably run 5 or 6 cars in a group without the possibility of catch ups if the cars are grouped by time.

Because of the many different corners and the track being twice as long as Jefferson more corner workers would be needed.

I would be in favor of changing one of the Jefferson events to Shenandoah.

It is worth considering.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Providing the tow vehicle's tranny is fixed. Providing the economy improves and I find a professional job again with real pay and bennies. Providing the moon is full (the one in the sky, mine always is! :shock: ). I'm in!

I've posted about this track before and will be repetively, redundently, Polish about it. I LOVE this track! It is far more technical than the Jefferson Circuit and is a hoot to drive! Personally, dumping into the bowl and coming out into a tight series of esses does it for me! It does have a straight, if you drive a SAAB, you do your nails during this time. There was a big right hand corner I never seemed to master, get, or figure out. It would be nice to have the track time to do so.
Last edited by Mary Anne Fieux on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

I'm would be in for this.

I think making this a PHA event would improve your chances of actually getting enough people to show. I think you might have a hard time if you couldn't get a good bunch of the regulars to show up. (Henc why your asking i assume) Now on the other hand, i don't think we need another flat track event in the schedule either. What about dropping the fall Jefferson and doing this instead? I would commit to helping with this event if we wanted to do that. If not, i can't really take on much more this year myself.

Yes, i would be fine with working a corner for part of the day. I think thats a fine idea!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Count me out!
Last edited by Mwilson on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

Post by ktaggart »

I have driven that course several times and agree, whole heartedly, that it is a technical course and a ton of fun.

Count me in!

Ken