CLimb to the clouds

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

sdwarf36
Novice
Current Racecar: mod-lite

Re: CLimb to the clouds

Post by sdwarf36 »

Why don't you just copy to CD the audio of the co-driver notes that Travis used and play it back during your run with head phones.

I'd start laughing when i got to "right 3 jiggy jiggy".

Relative to the dirt section, it's more smooth than some of pavement sections. Though I'm not sure if that will stand up over many runs. For the most part the dirt section is fairly straight forward, the turn at the crag is where I think you MIGHT get rutting.

I made the day of the guy that keeps the road. I gave him a attaboy for how good he did keep the dirt section. (better than the dirt track i was racing at the time!)
To quote him (use your best Butch King voice) "Ah yup-its the weekend all those little rota tillers show up." :P
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Our Safer barriers are the mossy side of the trees...
agrabau
Novice
Current Racecar: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II

Post by agrabau »

@S4racing
There's no shortage of torque on a restricted 4 cylinder. Of course it could be higher without :) The horsepower is very limited, thus the power band curtailed, but the torque is very high when tuned properly. A 4 cylinder turbo can make about 300-400 ft lbs with even a rally-34mm restrictor without any engine work short of a good ECU and a good tuner who is using race gas.

The purpose of the rules and the differing restrictor sizes amongst cars was to level the playing field as much as possible by limiting the power and instituting a single device that was easily checked and uniform per the rules. It wasn't to create any similarity or handicap in relation Travis or anyone else who has run previously.

It wouldn't be too difficult to have a seperate compressor housing or two if you have two turbos and have them machined and fit with restrictors, then retuned. The Audi might be more of a PITA to swap parts on them if it's a V6 though.

The cost of the event is high but it's two times the length of a normal race weekend and the hill is among the most expensive of all to rent. Probably the most expensive.

I'd definitely like to run without a 40mm restrictor but it's not up to me!

Alex
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

Just found out yesterday that our entry was accepted (rally class). I was thinking of running the "new" Pagoda but we'll be at a "bigger" hillclimb that weekend. Matt's driving and I'm co-driving. Wish us luck.
Don Kennedy
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Congrats. Still waiting for my reply on this side of the state. :cry:
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Well i recieved my letter, I'm not in, on the waiting list. I'm not exactly thrilled to say the least.

Oh well at least that saves me money
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
sachilles
Novice
Current Racecar: 99 Subaru 2.5rs
1961 Morris Mini

Post by sachilles »

At least one more wait listed amongst the NEHA folks.
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Sorry too hear you didn't make it. Too bad, I think you really would have given them a real run for there money.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I'm disappointed, Jeremy. I had hopes of you going and making a great run. Hopefully that waiting list gets used and you can go.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mckee

Post by mckee »

Jeremy,

Sorry to hear you are on waiting list. Mt Washington was made for your car. There must be some reticense as to your car's safety setup since they don't know it. They are more comfortable with rally cars, as that is the organizers' common background.

You and the tech inspector would likely be running against one another, although I don't for a minute think he would shy away from some good competition.

At least you got a letter.

See ya at Pagoda,

Bob D
s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

Sorry to hear, but somehow not surprised. Jeremy let's get serious and try to go to Pike Peak 2012. It should be fully paved by then. The best part is they appreciate HP. LOL

If you would like to go as a spectator this year, let me know. We should try to get a group together to go out.

Bill III
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Bill, I havnt given up on getting into the event. 8) I will keep my fingers crossed!

As for Pike Peak next year, I am game! I was actually planning that in my mind at this point. I might even think about taking the wife and kids and treating them to a week at the Broadmoor hotel if they are up for it. ( That might make it easier to sell the wife on this)

Lets talk seriously about this over the summer.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
s4racing
Novice

Post by s4racing »

Sounds good I am serious as well. I will probably take the wife and kids (dogs) in the RV.

Good luck on Mt W.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

I recieved the call last night. I"M IN! :)

TIme to start getting my mind back into this hill. I also need to finish up a few things that will need to be done before the event.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
rallynutdon
Novice

Post by rallynutdon »

Good to hear. I'm still waiting for supps, firm schedule and posting of all entries! Wonder when that is going to happen. I know it's more than 2 months to go yet. But I don't see paying the entry if I don't know what the refund policy is, etc!
sachilles
Novice
Current Racecar: 99 Subaru 2.5rs
1961 Morris Mini

Post by sachilles »

Congrats,

If schedule and budget permits, you should consider trying to do the Burke hill climb earlier that month. It would be a good event to get accustomed to the hills in Northern New England, as well as being a hell of a good time. Makes for a good shakedown run. Also the tech inspector for the event is the same one for Mt Washington, so it would give you a chance to get a once over if you think there might be any issues or questions. I'm sure the bench racing will be substantial, with MT washington being the prime topic, with an awful lot of wisdom shared about previous Mt Washington events.
sdwarf36
Novice
Current Racecar: mod-lite

Post by sdwarf36 »

jerdeitzel wrote:I recieved the call last night. I"M IN! :)

TIme to start getting my mind back into this hill. I also need to finish up a few things that will need to be done before the event.
I'm betting someone put in a good word for you. ;-)

Just got an email-dogs are only gonna be allowed in certian areas-and none of them are gonna be where you want to be. :cry:

I'm going to start a thread over at hillclimb.org about tips+ hints for doing Mt. Wash. Get the old timers remember things we can pass along.
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Our Safer barriers are the mossy side of the trees...
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

I really appreciate any good words that were mentioned. Thanks!

I would love to hear or read about any tips or info you guys wanna share. I will make sure to keep checking in on Hillclimb.org.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
1450Racing
Novice

Post by 1450Racing »

Entry list for Mt .Washington is up!

http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/competitors/entry-list/
Bob Legere
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I see Bob D'Amore and Duane Foley are also on the list

Good luck, guys!

Rich Rock
mckee

Post by mckee »

I learned for the first time this morning that I'm on the list and according to the press release one of the 'notable drivers'. I never received a letter or a call. I thought I had withdrawn. Was looking forward to Pagoda -- installed a new first gear especially for that hill. Now I'm confused.

Brgds,

Bob D'Amore