CLimb to the clouds

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

jerdeitzel
Novice

CLimb to the clouds

Post by jerdeitzel »

I'm suprised nobody has posted anything about this on this forum .http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/

I have sent in my entry to try and get into this race. Any info, help, strings that can be pulled would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to go and represent the Pa hillclimbers
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Re: CLimb to the clouds

Post by camaroz1985 »

Best of luck on getting in Jeremy. I'm sure you will make us proud.
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

First, I don't have a motor....yet. Second, I'm not running the Mach in the dirt. Looks like fun though.

Lastly, are they going allow the cheater-run with a navigator???
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Jer, you need a full rally spec car for this one. You know... a cage.

My son and I have spectated at this event twice, drove up once and hiked several places on the mountain in the summer. I believe today it is about 70% paved and 30% dirt. Tire selection is most important. As you can see there are no gaurd rails. Drop offs are sometimes 100's of feet. There are cars that went off and never retrieved. Rescues are often by helicoper due to the remoteness.

You need to get good advise on this one. There are two PHA former members that I know that drove this one. One is Bill Rutan a New England member who ran with us a few years back but we haven't seen in a while. I believe he still holds a record there that has stood for years in the old "Bathtub" VW Beetle. Also current member Bob D' Moore (forum member name mckee) may have run there but also would know a lot about it or how to get in touch with Bill.

Rob Cambell ran it last (they don't hold it every year). He doesn't run PHA events anymore but shows up at Duryea to spectate. He would be good to talk too.

There are books and movies on the event that use to be available. I know we had some but are stuffed away somewhere and I probably couldn't find them. You'll have to look around.

Don't worry you'll have enough clout to get in as long as your car will pass. Make sure your life insurance is paid up.

Good luck,
Dave Y.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Found this note in the press release,

In 1961 Bill Rutan from Connecticut drove his Porsche-powered Volkswagen to another new record time of 9:13.0 that would stand for 29 years – ( Bill always joked about the car being a $500 VW with a $50,000 Porsche engine)

Bill's son Dan drove the lime green all wheel drive Scirocco to an FTD at Duryea a few years back.

Dave Y
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

dspgti wrote:Jer, you need a full rally spec car for this one. You know... a cage.
Dave Y.
Um, helllllllllllllllllllllllllllo Dave. I would think he knows this already. Read the OP. :roll:
jerdeitzel wrote:I have sent in my entry to try and get into this race.
May as well update us on the cage Jer. Post pictures so the obvious is FULLY explained...........
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
And since the board is sooooooooooooo dead, we should start talking about mandatory cages. :twisted: Orrrrrrrrrr, maybe moving a start line 5'. Orrrrrrrrrr, my favorite.......breakout times!!!!! YEAH, that's it!!!!! Mandatory cages at Duryea if you run under..........mmmmmmmmm, 4:00:00. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. And just think, when everyone has to have a cage, it'll boost the economy, see. Money will be flowing all over the place. Rally cages in all cars. And with all that tubing, you could use muffler tubing or even copper pipe (1" stuff only!). Where is Mark Aubele????!!! YOU could use PVC if you want. Special rule just for you but you must paint it.

The above comments do not reflect the opinions or positions of any PHA/SCCA officials. They are made in JEST only and are not to be construed as fact or for guidelines in building race cars. Please consult OFFICIAL rules and regulations for specs pertaining to your car/class. None of the above comments are approved by ANY safety steward. All comments in this post were made while sober. No one over the age of 12 should read this post. Please consult the appropriate psychological council if you have considered any part of this post, below the line, as fact.

Let's see, where were we? Something about, good luck Jeremy!!!!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Not just a cage but a spec cage that is beyond SCCA club racing requirements. Some groups are tougher on requirements than the SCCA.
Just want everybody to recognize that.

Dave Y
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Note the requirements for corner reinforcing, sill tube if x type side bars are used, both sides, and although not described but shown in the drawings are the mount pads should be both verticle and horizontal. All of these are recommended but not required by SCCA classes except for GT.

You also better read all the NEHA roll cage rules since there is a requirement to have run one of their hills, you would have to pass their tech.

Dave Y
bcracer
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 12
Current Racecar: VW Bug

Post by bcracer »

Mt Washington is approx the length of all of pha's hillclimbs end to end or 4x duryea, and they say the dropoffs can be in the 1000's of ft.. Hopefully it will be the best few minutes of driving you've ever had. Unfortunatly my car is still apart or i would enter again. I ran their in 98 and 99. I would be happy to talk to you about it any time. I have some incar (slower than Pastanas) and could make you a copy, It might be helpful to watch a couple of times a day.Your car is probably ok, but you should check current tech items.
Rob C.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Dave, FWIW. I have researched cages and rules from just about every race group out there. I wouldn't call any of them better or worse, just all different. The cage that is being built will be a Rally America/SCCA RR legal cage. The biggest difference is tubing size requirements for all bar,s and a few extra bars here and there. The cage will end up being overbuilt for either of these groups. I have many opinions about cages after reading all kinda rules about them What i've learned is,eEveryone has their own opinion and rules. :lol:

I will no longer be the guy that has to hear "you should really put a cage in that" (Not that i think you need to make anyone do it, you will learn on your own)

As for running one of the NEHA events requirement. That is only for the hillclimb (H) classes! It dosn't make alot of sense to me but thats what going on. So, i have to run Open if i get in.

I will post pics of the cage as soon as i get them. The car is in Boston getting the work done from the guys at Dent sport garage.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Thanks bcracer. I'd love to take you up on the offer to discuss this further. I've have watched all the videos i can about 50 times each already and I'm sure i have about 300 more viewings to go!

I have been skiing on Mt Washington a few times. I kno very well the drops and magnitude of this hill. My main goal would be to keep the car on the road!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I knew you could help Rob.

By the way, when did they start allowing a navigator? I remember seeing Sprongle and Choinere. They didn't have notes or instructions. What's the big deal with Pastanas going so fast. That's like cheating isn't it. What about the single seat drivers?

Dave Y
Last edited by dspgti on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Okay, now I'm impressed. You skiied Tuckermans? I'm not worthy!!! :oops:

I know you will do it right Jer. I was thinking you would be getting a waiver from the NEHA since you would have references from Bob D' and Butch King. Running Open seems to get around that requirement and I think you would have the time to get the NASA or RA license.

Im full of advise (not all good) so if I can help in any way, let me know.

Dave Y
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

First I would like to say it is great to here from Rob Campbell. Rob has always been a fierce competitor in Special 2 and an all around good guy. It is nice to have him on the forum. Jeremy, I would say with Rob, Dave, and perhaps Bob Damore giving you advise you will be very successful driving Mt. Washington. I wish I had a car that was capable of running the event, and I suspect your car would be suited very well for a hill of that nature. I wish you the very best on getting your ticket, and please keep us posted as to your progress. Best of Luck!
Richard Elliott
Novice

Post by Richard Elliott »

Just saw where Pastrana is all set to run NASCAR in 2011. Should be great on a road course.
Better to be a has been, than a never was.
LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

Post by LARRY LONG »

Looks like great fun.

One of my cars competed in the 1999 event. Willie Schuldt had just finished constructing it and it was one of the first events for the car. He did finish.

$850.00 is beyond my budget.

Larry Long
mckee

Post by mckee »

Jeremy et al.,

I have run the vintage portion of Mt Washington 3 different years. It was just over 5 miles and our course ended just before the first dirt section. I unofficially have raced all the way to the top several times ( bring a winter jacket). Don Taylor from Claremont, NH will be the tech inpector. His background is rallying and he has a pretty good handle on what will keep you safe up there. You two should get along as you both have won events with street cars. Suggest you call him and let him know who is putting the cage in, and get any advice he'd care to give. He is at 603-542-8549 (shop) and his cell is 603-543-7456. There are only 70 entries being considered and 10 of those are already alloted to the vintage folks. Send your entry into Paul Giblin (also a rally guy) per the web site instructions. They are also looking for electric cars (gasp). I believe the HANS type protection will be required in the non-vintage cars.

The rally class cars will be allowed to carry navigators -- you might qualify.

I am told the course will only have about a mile unpaved, and that the bumps have been fixed. I also submitted an entry, and although I routinely run NEHA events Don Taylor has some questions about my car (?).

As for the course: it is long with many turns but for the most part, unlike the VT hills there are few blind corners, making it reasonable to learn -- thus Pastrana's quick time on his first run. It is far more dangerous than anything you'll see in PA. Think of a 7.6 mile bumpy Weatherly with drop offs instead of guard rails on one side and nearby trees and rocks on the other. There is a tritely named turn, the 'Widow Maker' that drops off 1880 feet vertically -- no guard rails, just a small sign to alert you. It's too narrow for 2 cars to pass, so there are wide outs every mile or so for that purpose. For the most part the course is made for 4WD cars and you would do extremely well. I enjoyed driving the hill in my vintage car until the bumps got so bad my oil pan got mixed up with my crankshaft. I have been up the hill at speed in a 4WD Porsche turbo and the bumps did not bother it. Top speed record on the fastest section is 113 MPH, so gear your car accordingly.

Make sure they know you are fast and don't crash (the latter is very important as the auto road folks are paranoid about liability and bad publicity).

Good luck,

Bob D
mckee

Post by mckee »

Just spoke with Don Taylor, the Mt Washington tech inspector. His concern vis-a-vis my F5000 is its ability to protect the fuel cells (my side air bags) from the sharp rocky ledges that line much of the course. Take those rocky ledges into account when building your cars. One side bar on your drivers cage is likely not enough. Make sure the bars are big enough and thick enough to meet the GCR car weight requirements.

Bob D
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

mckee wrote:There are only 70 entries being considered and 10 of those are already alloted to the vintage folks.
Just to clarify, Paul and I had a lengthy conversation about this event earlier in the planning phase and they have some very tight restrictions on the # of entries. 70 may be the total entry count but there are several blocks of spots reserved for specific classes and the criteria for getting a spot are very tough. When I talked to Paul most PHA style cars would only be eligible for roughly 10 spots to be shared with the NEHA regulars.

The only reason I bring this is up is I wouldn't want to see anyone planning extensive (expensive) modifications to their car and then not being invited to enter. Before anyone sets plans in place I would recommend talking to Paul about your chances of being allowed to run.
~Matt Rowe