Morg Wilson's Banquet Poem

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

PitCrewLinda
Novice

Morg Wilson's Banquet Poem

Post by PitCrewLinda »

(Note: Due to limitations to display the poem I had to condense the phrasing into one line)

Answers to questions for a perspective Hill Climber. by Morg Wilson submitted by Linda Young

A man approached me At one of the Hills. Said he really enjoyed The thrills and the spills.

I want to go Hillclimbing So what do I do? I've got lots of questions, I want to ask you.

As all of you know, We get questions galore About the sport, That we all adore.

He asked about Hillclimbing, And how it is run. Can you make lots of money? Is it very much fun?

How much does it cost? To buy a race car? Where do you run? Is it near or afar?

How old must you be? How much do you pay? Am I too old to race? What's the P…H…A?

Are the hills very long? How fast do you go? Have you ever wrecked, And needed a tow?

Is this a safe sport? Can you ever get hurt? Do you race on macadam, Concrete or dirt?

Has anyone famous, Raced the hills before you? The reason I ask Is I haven't a clue.

The questions were many, I think you can see. Here are some of my answers, I hope you agree.

I took out a towel Wiped the sweat from my head, I turned to the man And here's what I said.

I have a few moments, Have a seat my friend. I'll try to explain From beginning to end.

Many Hills that we run Are Historic you see There were famous drivers, That proceeded me.

Penske, Carol Shelby Racing legends you agree Drove this same hill, Way before me.

One celebrity still driving He's now an "old fart". I know you heard Of Donald "Andretti" Dehart.

Hill Climbing is a sport It's tough to explain We race up a hill, In the sun and in rain.

We try to drive, As fast as we can. When we come back down, We do it over again.

After two days of racing The winners are crowned. Then we load up our cars, And get out of town.

We tow all directions, North South East and West. Headed home to our families, And a well deserved rest.

We repeat this procedure, Eight times a year. To some family and friends It's not perfectly clear.

Many say what we do, Is positively nuts But I suspect they lack, The balls or the guts.

We race not for money, Nor trophys of sort. We do it because Of the love of the sport.

Hill Climbing's no Nascar, Or Formula 1. But it's just as dangerous, And alot more fun.

We spend tons of money, On our cars and race gas. Knowing well in one second, We could loose our ass.

Our racing organization, The P.H.A. Is the best group of people, In the whole U.S.A.

The Drivers, Volunteers, And towns that we run. Are the reason P.H.A, Will always be number one.

Hill Climber's are a group Of a selected few. So the decision my friend Is up to you.

If you like spending money, And driving real fast. With a chance of wrecking, And loosing your ass.

If you like the feeling Of driving on the edge. Knowing there is a chance, You could wind up dead.

If not taking a shower, For two days you love. And wearing a suit, Helmet, Nomex and Gloves.

If you like doing your business, In a portable pot. When its cold in the morning, Or afternoon when its hot.

If you like spending hours, Towing your car. Traveling to towns, Both near and afar.

If you like having drinks, With drivers, workers and friends. After the race, And the day grows to an end.

If you like all these things, As I certainly do. Then the sport of Hill Climbing, Just might be for you.

I'm sorry my friend, There's no more time. Must get my car, To the starting line.

I've answered your questions, I hope they were clear. Maybe I'll see you, Racing next year.
Linda Young,
for Casual Photography
FV#95 and FV#70

http://www.lindayoungwatercolors.com
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Morg Wilson's Banquet Poem

Post by mrevilracing »

Morgan, thank you for sharing your absolutely wonderful poem writing and reading skills. Those that missed it, missed another treat. The PHA is truely blessed to have such an asset as Morg to keep us entertained and to have his friendship. The only bummer about the poem is that it wasn't video'd for all to enjoy.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Steve thanks for the kind words. I did get a bunch of positive comments and it's nice to be able to contribute to this festive event in some small way.
sgmotorsports
Novice

Post by sgmotorsports »

Morg,

Loved the poem! Unfortunately, reading the poem's words does not give the impact you had presenting it at the banquet. You were so eloquent and put emphasis on those special phrases. Steve is right...it should have been taped! AND, you need to add the INTRO to what Linda provided. It offers the perfect set up. GREAT JOB!!!

Carol
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

I was asked by my good friend Carol Lipperini if I would post my introduction to the Poem I read at this years banquet. I will try to paraphrase as best I can:

" When I was asked to write a poem for this year's Banquet I didn't want to repeat anything similar to what I did the previous year. I then thought back on the first Hill Climb I ever saw at Weatherly. My good friend Tony Preston and I went to Weatherly to watch a Hill Climb for the first time. We wound up at turn 2, and after about 19 or 20 cars going by I said this is what I wanted to do. I had tons of questions about what we needed to do to get involved. There was a lady there that was very knowledgeable about the sport. It turned out to be Norma Oswald. She answered the many questions I had and said if I was really interested in getting involved I should go down to the start line at Lunch and talk to the "good looking Italian guy" at the start line. So at lunch we walked down the hill and I looked, and looked, and looked for this good looking Italian guy. I never found him, but I did find Dan Lipperini. I remember one of the many questions I asked him was am I too old to get started in this sport. With a smile on his face he said to me that there were a bunch of "old geezer's" running the hills. So the next year I began my journey. So the premises of this years poem is "Answers for a Perspective Hill Climber" I hope you enjoy it."

Just for You Carol.
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Post by McDallion »

I resent Dan's quote above as I have never geezed. Not even once.
Don
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Ah, but are you sure you never "codgered, or "Curmudgeoned," or as PHA retirees are wont to do "ol'PHArted." ??