HERSHEY "GRAND ASCENT" 2011

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Re: HERSHEY "GRAND ASCENT" 2011

Post by Ron Mann »

Steve Moskowitz contacted me...seeing if I could do some presentations pre-event. I was told the the members of the SVVSCC were asked to work the corners and such. No mention of them running the event. VSCCA has been at the hill...and trees are going to be removed! VSCCA runs the Equinox hill climb in Vermont. From what I recall...they are going after VSCCA cars that are pre-war first..and if they can't fill the bill they will open it up for VSCCA cars post WWII. If this event gets a head of steam and will continue for years to come...there may be potential of "other classes" to run the hill.
There will be a clock...but it might have the feeling of a road rally...where a time will be set for the hill...and the driver that comes closest to the time set...would win??

We shall see..............
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Post by McDallion »

If it was run as a regularity event you could just run laps. Seeing how short it is and all.
Don
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Posting this on behalf of Steve Moskowitz:

Please allow me to separate out the fiction from the facts about the event in Hershey this June.
There was only one weekend we could get with the Hotel in June next year as the idea did not even gather any steam until March of this year. We knew our event potentially could conflict with other events and it does. Your hillclimb, another concours and AACA’s National Meet in Minnesota are all on the same date. However, it was either saying no to this year or dealing with the unfortunate conflicts that existed.

This is a charitable event. We are raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, AACA Museum and the AACA Library and Research Center. All three entities are 501 (c) (3) charitable organizations and need the funding. We expect to make a very, very sizeable donation to each group.

The organizers of this event have decades in the hobby whether it is racing, collecting or restoring cars. With the exception of our JDRF representative they all have had their fair share of grease under the fingernails! If you want to leave me out fine but these folks are real car guys and their background proves it!

The funding to conduct this two day event is already in place, it will happen. The cars on the hill will be predominately pre-war cars as that was the vision from the start. We feel fortunate that David George stepped up to chair the hillclimb. Will Sunday be stuffy? Depends on your outlook! For me, the chance to see a small gathering of spectacular cars in the Hershey Hotel setting is exciting. It is not often that you or I could have the opportunity to view a gathering of so many special and amazing cars. I have been around the hobby and racing for almost 40 years and I am looking forward to being a spectator at both events.

Hopefully, this is year will also be the start of something bigger on the racing side as part of the original vision was more events. We decided to keep it simple the first year. It was a major win even to open up the Hershey venue again as most people thought it was gone forever.

Our goal was not to make enemies, nor to disrespect any group or activity but a chance to grow car events in this area and make a real difference financially to our beneficiaries. The positive press, the great events, the donations to charity all put our mutual hobby related activities in a good light with the public. In an age we are threatened with being legislatively pressured, we need to support each other more than ever.

Steve Moskowitz
Executive Director
Antique Automobile Club of America
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Post by Mr2 »

Nice interesting info. ^^^ Thank you for posting.
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
timurf
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 109
Current Racecar: 1968 Datsun Roadster

Post by timurf »

I think it will be great getting cars back up the hill at Hershey even if it is a little exclusionary. I fear this is a dying sport and any event added anywhere helps offset the rate of attrition. And once established the trend will be to permit more classes or model years, not less.

Heck, I'll bet some of the drivers even drive their own damn cars up the hill! Their chauffeurs will be busy back at the paddock mixing highballs and prepping the salmon pate' and plates of stinky cheese...
Tim Murphy
68 Roadster
69 Roadster
other Datsuns too
Paul Eckstein
Novice

Post by Paul Eckstein »

They now have a website:

http://theeleganceathershey.com/

Wow! I bet you can't find a brat and a beer here!

I'll reserve a table at the charity auction - next to the Chubb Group.

I'll most likely get out my formal whites and flag the hill anyhow.

I actually stayed in the hotel once - not in the $300 room - my room
was in the basement next to the staff entrance.
Richard Elliott
Novice

Post by Richard Elliott »

WOW! That VSCCA web site have a lot of very nice and at one time fast cars pictured. I remember when the PHA site had pictures of race cars, that when viewed, got the ole blood and pluse pumping. Truely the good ole days.
Better to be a has been, than a never was.