HERSHEY "GRAND ASCENT" 2011

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Tom Styczynski
Novice

HERSHEY "GRAND ASCENT" 2011

Post by Tom Styczynski »

I was reading the December 2010 Hemmings Classic Car last evening. There was a small article about a planned car show at the Hershey Hotel in June 2011. The article mentioned the Grand Ascent "demonstration runs" of vintage sports and race cars on the Hershey Hillclimb course. Here is the link to the AACA announcement:

http://www.aacamuseum.org/events/newsstory.aspx?id=220
Tom Styczynski

#TBD Lotus 7A
The Oregon division of the Motorworks at Saint Judes

TO GET TO THE TOP YOU HAVE TO START AT THE BOTTOM
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: HERSHEY "GRAND ASCENT" 2011

Post by Rich Rock »

Same weekend as Weatherly. Oh well, sounds like our cars don't have the pedigree they're looking for anyhow. Should be interesting if they can pull it off, though.

Rich Rock
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

I think it is "invite" only....I predict mass lameness!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Ron I think that is an understatement.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I called the guy whose phone number is listed in the article. When he gets back to me I'll let you know what he has to say.

Rich
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Has there ever been a more pompous bunch of a-holes posing as car guys? Makes Weatherly look like Formula 1. Thank the racings gods for PHA. Sue & Dave
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Since Sue and Morg posted, I thought I should follow......better be seated. I've 'commented' a little.

The 1st 2 paragraphs:
Different is what you get with the announcement of a new and exciting automotive event in the planning stages for 2011. (Different? Oh I see. Get a bunch of old cars that no one wants to scratch and cruise up some wooded road. Hmm, that's never been done before. I can see it now, Sue shows up in her Grey Poupon '60 Jag and gets arrested because it has a ROLL BAR in it!!!!! Blasphemy!!!) A truly exclusive showing of spectacular automobiles will be staged in the exquisite setting of the world renowned Hotel Hershey and gardens. Limited to 75 cars, “The Elegance” will bring together many of the most desired automotive works of art ever assembled in one area, simply the best of the best. Dates for 2011 will be June 11-12.

Along with the show will be “The Grand Ascent at Hershey” on June 11 which will showcase iconic vintage sports and race cars in demonstrations runs on the fabled Hershey Hotel Hillclimb course. (WTF does that mean?!! Are ya gonna drive the F'n car or not? If not, get the hell out of the way!) Picture some of the most desired and unique cars from the world of speed winding their way through one of the most historic and scenic courses available today. (CALLING CHUCK CHRIST AND THE WHITMAN BROTHERS. Um, could you remove/modify the mufflers a leeeetle and lead the field? hehe.) A day dedicated to the celebration of speed will be filled with exciting surprises for participants and the public alike.
(Celebration of speed means to SPEED or DRIVE FAST. And what surprises? Did they invite a jet car to run the course? Can everyone take turns driving it?)
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Stevil ( :twisted: ), I thank God for your sick posterior sense of humor. You remind me there are still "normal" people on the planet.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I talked to Steve Moskowitz, executive director of the AACA last night. The hillclimb will be an official Vintage Sports Car Club of America(VSCCA) event. No connection to SCCA. David George will be the event chairman/organizer. This is the same club that puts on the Pittsbugh Vintage Grand Prix (PVGP) and the Lime Rock Vintage Festival, which are first class events, drawing thousands of spectators. They used to run one of the New England hillclimbs as a vintage event I think.

The Hillclimb will be on Saturday only. Very few PHA members have cars which would qualify under the very strict VSCCA requirements. We'll see what happens, but I would not be surprised if these folks have a successful event.

Rich Rock
+
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Is it actually going to be a hillclimb as we know it or just a hillclimb in theory as they do "demonstrations runs".
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I don't know, and I'm not sure if the organizers have decided exactly what the format will be. I was told that they will be timing the cars. Whether it will be a competition for fastest time, or something else remains to be seen. No matter what, keep in mind that when these guys talk of "speed" it's a relative thing. Some of these cars are very slow by our standards. Check out some of the pics at www.vscca.org to get an idea.

Rich
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Good thing it's the same date as Weatherly. Think that was by " accident"? If the Hershey crowd weren't such jerks, I might have been tempted. Gracie is VSCCA-eligible & they're starting a saloon class. I would guess the Saab qualifies too. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Sue
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Funny thing is...and I'm not sure if the SVVSCC (the folks that ran the HVH) is involved or not...but if VSCCA is involved(first I heard of it)...this is what they(SVVSCC)wanted the Hershey Vintage Hill Climb to be.
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I think the date was chosen for reasons which have nothing to do with the PHA schedule. I don't think they care at all about what we're doing, and I doubt they ever thought about looking at our schedule. We won't have much of any impact on their event, and they won't have much of any impact on Weatherly.

Rich
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Jag, SAAB, saloon, Sue's booze, Fieux's booze......yea, it will all be at Weatherly.

Would be interesting to see how they would receive these cars if the event is not an "invite only". But Weatherly holds my heart, my favorite hill!
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Hmm, lets see. Would you prefer to go to some boring, "Don't scratch my car or breathe on it because it's SOOOOOOOOOOO special"-convention or go where there is Joe Cybert and company?

Here's how it would go:

Hershey:
"OH LOVIE!!! Bring me the cleaner, polish, wax, detailer and 50 microfiber towels!!!!! I seem to have smudged some Grey Poupon on the paint! I'm having chest pains now...ugh."

Weatherly:
Rich walks up to Sue's car and looks in while eating his bowl of halushka....a piece slips off the fork, hits the door, and lands on the ground. Sue: "I don't give a %^$# about that! Get over here and have something else to eat and drink. It's going to rain tonite and that'll wash it off."

Make up your own mind which crowd to hang out with..........
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Rich would be in trouble if he didn't bring ME a bowl of haluski. BTW, PHA was represented today at the Pumpkin Run in South Jersey. Jag, Mini, Donny's Renault & Charlie Reel's Mini. Although Charlie was a DNF but I won't tell tales. Much wine & cheese, home made soup & Pomergrante martinis. Fun event, since the race cars get in the night before & camp over. Along with the 100 year-old steam tractors. Quite chilly but we have now recharged in the hot tub with limoncello. Sue
Mel Horn
Novice

It al depends on what your definition of "Grand" is...

Post by Mel Horn »

Or even ASS-ent.

Sheesh.

Weatherly up till Turn Two eclipses Hershey in elevation change.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Got some more info over the weekend. Looks like SVVSCC will be involved after all. The way I understand it, the hill will be set and the event run by many of the same people who have been doing it the past several years. The cars will be "selected" by VSCCA.

Rich Rock
jgrausa
Novice

Post by jgrausa »

I would like to consider myself a "car guy" who appreciates all manner of competition and marques. I went to the VSCCA website and noted pics http://www.vscca.org/ on their home page that are appealing.The pics include many of the type of cars run at PHA events and include: Alfa Romeo, Austin Healy, Porsche, Volvo, MGA, Porsche, Ford Mustang, Formula Vee, Jaguar, Porsche, Aston Martin, Mercedes Benz, Auburn, Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus (or is that Loti), more Alfas, DB4 (me likes) , BMW, did I mention some nice Porsches? They also had a pic of few people hanging around a makeshift table with food, a guy with a beer in his hand , cars doing a hillclimb on a road with trees on either side, some husband and wife pics, a few kids with their dads car. I don't know that this group is that much different from the PHA crowd, except the one guy with the ascot (whats with that anyway) and the cars are a bit older. I believe they put a lot of emphasis on "originality" and "pre- 1960" and that's what differs them a smidgen from PHA (plus their insurance is probably a bit higher). I believe they are mostly "car guys" and would appreciate the vehicles driven at a PHA event, although they may be a bit smitten with something with a bit of age on it (like the Kase brothers) :lol: .

Also, I think that is John Fitch in several of their pics. I haven't seen him at any of our events lately.

Happy Holidays,
Joe Rausa