Summit Point Track Trial - 26 Sep 2010

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mgyip
Novice

Summit Point Track Trial - 26 Sep 2010

Post by Mgyip »

Don't put your cars away just yet - only 1 week after Weatherly, the DC Region is holding their first Track Trials event on Summit Point Main. Registration must be completed on-line via DLBRacing by Mon, 20 Sep 2010.

For more info - www.pdx.wdcr-scca.org
jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: Summit Point Track Trial - 26 Sep 2010

Post by jerdeitzel »

So please correct me if I'm wrong. The TT is Sunday only and you get 2-20min practice sessions and 2- 4 lap timed sessions? Are their transponder rentals?
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Yes, that is what the schedule shows -- TT is Sunday only, and there are 2 practice sessions and 2 sets of timed sessions. Transponders can be rented at the OG Racing store at the track. I rented one last year for around $50, don't remember exactly.

You can also run the PDX and TT on Sunday, which gives you 3 more practice sessions. Or the PDX Saturday (5 sessions) and the TT Sunday -- that is what I'd like to do.

DC region also has another PDX/Time Trial event on the main track over the weekend of 10/23.

I ran one of the DC region TT events last fall and had a great time. Well organized event, and the organizers went out of their way to make sure everyone had what they needed.

Grace
ktaggart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 66
Current Racecar: Tigger II Formula Super Vee

Post by ktaggart »

Gracie,

How do the rental transponders attach to the car. I will need to rent one and don't have many convenient places to attach things.

Ken
Mgyip
Novice

Post by Mgyip »

Transponders can be attached any number of ways - some folks (with street cars) use zip-ties to secure them to the license plate while others can zip-tie it to the frame of the car. So long as the transponder has a clear view of the pavement, it'll work.

WDCR uses transponders because we don't have anyone like Nelson who can call times, watch cars AND chain-smoke at the same time :twisted:
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

ktaggart wrote:Gracie,

How do the rental transponders attach to the car. I will need to rent one and don't have many convenient places to attach things.

Ken
I mounted the one I rented to some part of the car's frame in the front with a couple of zip ties. There was a hole in the top if I recall correctly, so I used that, plus one or 2 around the whole thing to hold it steady. They test the transponders during your practice sessions, so if you don't have it mounted in such a way that they can pick up times, you'll find out and have a chance to correct it.
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

In case it wasn't just me who had trouble figuring this out, if you want to register for Sunday only -- TT only or TT & Sunday PDX -- you need to use the "Registration" link on the WDC website for Sunday 9/26. The Saturday 9/25 "Registration" link is only to register for combinations that include Saturday.

Also, there is no combined option for PDX Saturday and TT Sunday, so if that is what you want to do, you have to register for each separately (using the 2 separate links). It is less expensive to sign up for the PDX both days plus the TT on Sunday ($385 for the full combination vs $445 for PDX Saturday and TT only on Sunday).

Online registration closes the Monday after Weatherly and I don't think they are accepting walk ups.

Grace
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Cross your fingers, toes and whatever. I wanna do this event like, badly! But if there is something seriously wrong with the motor in the Mach, we won't be there.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Mount the transponder as far forward as you possably can. Remember, that is the point that crosses the finish line. Put it on a stick that is 4 feet in front of the car. OHH!, never mind, that isn't legal!

Just kidding. But you need to mount it as far forward as you can.

Dave
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Mount the transponder as far forward as you possably can. Remember, that is the point that crosses the finish line. Put it on a stick that is 4 feet in front of the car. OHH!, never mind, that isn't legal!

Just kidding. But you need to mount it as far forward as you can.

Dave
Mgyip
Novice

Post by Mgyip »

gdh57 wrote:In case it wasn't just me who had trouble figuring this out, if you want to register for Sunday only -- TT only or TT & Sunday PDX -- you need to use the "Registration" link on the WDC website for Sunday 9/26. The Saturday 9/25 "Registration" link is only to register for combinations that include Saturday.

Also, there is no combined option for PDX Saturday and TT Sunday, so if that is what you want to do, you have to register for each separately (using the 2 separate links). It is less expensive to sign up for the PDX both days plus the TT on Sunday ($385 for the full combination vs $445 for PDX Saturday and TT only on Sunday).

Online registration closes the Monday after Weatherly and I don't think they are accepting walk ups.

Grace
Thanks for clarifying the Registration process - DLB Racing isn't incredibly user-friendly for events that aren't "2 full days" and in the case of these Track Trials, it's essentially 3 separate events that can be mixed together in a few different manners. We never considered someone doing the Saturday PDX and the Sunday TT - something to consider for the future. We don't accept walk-up registration as it causes great headaches for our registrar.

FWIW, Mr. Rowe has turned a 1.29.xxx on Summit Point Main - I trust that anyone with a pulse can beat that time... :twisted:
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

Ken
Ken,

Summit point may sell the plastic holder (inexpensive) that clamps onto the transponder. The holder can be fastened to the tub or you can fabricate a bracket or tab to afix the holder to a bolt or screw.
So do not worry about where to mount the transponder as long as it within 18" or so of thetrack surface and has a clear line of site. You can mount it near the front or at the rear of the car, it will not affect you lap times. Remember, the transponder starts and stops the timed lap and unless you can engineer a way to move it from the rear of the car to the front of the car during the same lap the elasped time will be not be affected. If you happen to figure out a way to do that, let me know!
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Dave Cutchins wrote:

Ken
Ken,

So do not worry about where to mount the transponder as long as it within 18" or so of thetrack surface and has a clear line of site. You can mount it near the front or at the rear of the car, it will not affect you lap times. Remember, the transponder starts and stops the timed lap and unless you can engineer a way to move it from the rear of the car to the front of the car during the same lap the elasped time will be not be affected.

So if it comes down to inches, you want your inch to be in front of the other (guys) inch? RIGHT?
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I can see the advantage of having the transponder as far forward as possible in road racing. If it comes down to a "photo finish" you want yours to be the first one across the line.. But for time trials, I gotta agree with Dave C. The timer is simply measuring how long it takes for the transponder to make one lap, and it doesn't matter where on the car you attach it.

Rich Rock

ps. there is a potential downside to having the thing mounted far forward. In case of a front hit, the transponder could be destroyed!
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

I see only Grace and Paul Behofist are signed up for this event. Tons of track time on the main course. We use a lot of fuel but its worth it. The last time i ran one of these events we got so much track time i didn't run the last session.Reg closes the Monday before the event and no walk up reg.See you there.
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Rich Rock wrote:I can see the advantage of having the transponder as far forward as possible in road racing. If it comes down to a "photo finish" you want yours to be the first one across the line..
That would be true. . . except positions are not determined by the transponder. Timing and scoring has "tapers", people that visually determine position.
~Matt Rowe
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

That would be true. . . except positions are not determined by the transponder. Timing and scoring has "tapers", people that visually determine position.[/quote]

Interesting, I didn't know that. So much for technology.
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

Dave Cutchins wrote:Remember, the transponder starts and stops the timed lap and unless you can engineer a way to move it from the rear of the car to the front of the car during the same lap the elasped time will be not be affected. If you happen to figure out a way to do that, let me know!
Put it on the back of the car, and spin at the start finish line? :D
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

So there would be no advantage in having the transponder far forward in road racing?
Mgyip
Novice

Post by Mgyip »

Rich Rock wrote:So there would be no advantage in having the transponder far forward in road racing?
Unfortunately not or some racers would have long-ago developed the transponder "extension" to help them "win" races...

There is talk of Solo events using transponders but I can't foresee that given the effort to setup a timing "loop", etc - however, I've finished a few runs either backwards or spinning into (and usually thru) the Stop Garage. I wonder how that'd work by putting the transponder in back and then "spinning" at the stop... :wink: