PHA MARKETING

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: PHA MARKETING

Post by dspgti »

I guess I did. I had a few. Most are not involved any more. I don't remember exactly what I tell everybody but I think a say roll bars only are okay for most entry levels. If they are highly modified, I do stress the importance of a cage. I often tried to talk Rob Deysher into a cage when he went into SM but encouraged him to run anyway and supported my son in running it with just a bar. Rob said the next year he would sell it or cage it.

We are getting off subject here. Sorry.
Dave Y
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

mrevilracing wrote:The biggest hurdle I have come across is guys not wanting to put a roll bar in their car.

Oh, I agree with that. But, when many people hear that they need to spend another thou or so on safety gear on top of the roll bar or cage, they can really lose interest. So, my thought is that if someone is willing to go so far as to make their car legal, not having to purchase safety gear right away might be an enticement.

Rich Rock
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, I tell everyone that this is the coolest/craziest thing I've ever done. I also tell them that this is a natural progression to racing on the street with the next comment being GET OFF THE STREET. It's prevalent on every board and in every conversation, whether you like it or not. Every single person that has a hot rod has raced someone on the street, period. If you've never done it, be careful because a meteor may hit you.

After I open with that statement, I explain what a rush it is to be blazing by trees and guard rails and crossing the finish line at speeds well over the posted limit without getting a ticket. How cool could that be?? Awesome actually. Which was another reason I went to the Silver State. I now have a certificate that says I was LEGALLY clocked at 136mph on the highway.

From there, I explain you need an SCCA certified roll bar as a minimum and a fire suit(head to toe), fire extinguisher and harnesses. That's where I lose people. I've had quite a few guys come up to check it out. ALL of them want to do it. ALL of them think it's cool as hell(slang term of course). A few considered the roll bar/harness deal, but none want to shell out the close to $1k for the firesuit. Basically, it's your car + $1600 minimum just to be ready. I base my costs off Simpson equipment/safety gear and the AutoPower 4pt and a fire extinguisher.

I can't figure out how to make it so enticing that guys HAVE to run. I knew 14 years ago that I was, someday, going to run the Silver State. Having the Mach and getting that packet in the mail was the final nail in the coffin for running. I was in! The PHA was a close 2nd to that because I could stay local(wife's requirement) and it was cheap(relatively speaking). So I can run as fast as I want on the street, NOT get a ticket and compete. Where do I sign up???!!!!!

That's what I tell people what's up and how I got here. I do add that there is the distinct possibility that you could wreck. Chasing records will put you in the category of 'possible' or 'likely'. Just driving up the hill for fun, low risk. The latter comment isn't for me. I need to attack the course or just stay home.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Please read under "hillclimb 101" the subject "roll cage questions". This is the typical request we get. So How Do You Handle It? Do you want to soft pedal it? Do you tell it like it is?

My response is the way I have handled it up to now. Maybe I'm off base. I can't point to any level of success with my approach. Maybe we should lie to them? Tell them, "your'e fine, whatever you got is okay. After all, what have you got to loose?

Dave Y.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Promo flier that was made around 1977 to "drum up" some biz!
Attachments
rtttcrop1.jpg
Last edited by Ron Mann on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

it was a tri fold pamphlet...Marc Gerstein's TR3...ID others?
Attachments
sdftrcrop2.jpg
sdftrcrop2.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 4779 times
Last edited by Ron Mann on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

more...Jim Sariano's MGB lower left...
Attachments
tujfcrop3.jpg
tujfcrop3.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 4779 times
Last edited by Ron Mann on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

last bit...sorry that is the biggest I can post'em at. Larry Shaffer's Sprite Lower left...Richard Stauffer's Volvo.
Attachments
ukjhcrop4.jpg
ukjhcrop4.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 4778 times

Blitzy07
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 12
Current Racecar: na

Post by Blitzy07 »

Being a smart business owner, you should be able to identify which marketing methods will not work and which will help you get maximum number of leads. In fact there are a lot of advanced tools that can help you identify your target market. I did all of the research on my own and based on the result, I decided to go with social media marketing and Google Adwords Campaign Management. Truly getting awesome outcome.