my cars history

Learn about the history of PHA

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ron C.
Novice
Current Racecar: 67 z28

my cars history

Post by Ron C. »

Hi,I am new here,my name is Ron and I own a 1967 camaro z/28 that was raced in hillclimbing events by a person named Scott Moorhouse. If anyone has any info from the late 6os on my car which is white with a black vinal top and might also have been raced in autocross as a class A sedan. The last 3 digits of the vin are 495.Thanks for any pics or info that you might have.Ron.Here is a pic of my car.
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Re: my cars history

Post by McDallion »

I see a Doug Moorhouse coming 3rd in A/S at Hershey in '69. At Tuscarora Mountain a Douglas Moorhouse entered a Camaro Z-28 but did not set a time. At Giants Despair a Doug Morhouse of Upper Montclair, N.J. came 5th of 6 in A Sedan with a Z-28. And again at Topton.
That was all I saw. I don't think I have results sheets for the whole season. He only appeared in 1969,and is not listed in the end of season points tally, which I have.
Don
Ron C.
Novice

Post by Ron C. »

I think that was his father.I could be wrong on the driver but he said he raced the car at marlboro? I need to get more info from him.Any year on the car? He also had a 68 z28 that they raced after they sold my car.Thanks Don,did they keep records on the cars vin? I am also trying to locate some pics if anyone might have of the car.Scott is still in contact with me and he wants to see the car when he comes to my area.He said it will bring back some memories. I also left the rollbar in the car when I restored the car.Again thanks for any info you might have.Ron.
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member

Post by McDallion »

I am working from results sheets sent to entrants after events were run. The information given borders on being cryptic. One did list his car number as being 85. We didn't have reserved numbers at that time. None of the results listed the year of the car.
Don
H1 Opel Ascona
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 212
Current Racecar: 1971 Opel Ascona

Post by H1 Opel Ascona »

If you find any photos, it should be easy to tell which car it was as the '67 had wing window vents and the '68 did not.

Duane
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Ron C.
Novice

Post by Ron C. »

When I bought the car in 1984 it was in need of a resto,it had flared rear quarters,2 inch blocks in the rear leafs to lower the car,cut front springs,and rollbar (4point).Had stewart warner gauges in dash above heater coontrols allthough it had factory gauges.It still had its original rally wheels also.Don you did mention Montclair and that is where I think he was from.Thanks for your help with the info.When I talk to him next time I will get more info from him.Ron.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

if it has the roll bar in it from its PHA days...it should be stamped with a number. I don't have my flash drives with info with me today. I do have the roll bar records...and on the forms the vin numbers are listed. We should be able to sort this out...
feel free to email me at RMann@Hersheys.com
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

A '1967 Z-28? WOW!!!!! Can't be many of them left, they only made what, 600 or so? Very cool!

Rich Rock
Ron C.
Novice

Post by Ron C. »

Yes Rich only 602 z/28s were made,scca required 1,000 units but they also accepted the SS camaro.here is a pic of my rollbar.Where would they stamp the number? I guess they raced everything from camaros to corvettes back then huh? Is there anyone here from back then that would remeber Doug or Scott moorhouse? I will try to get him to come here and talk about his raceing days.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Are you going to run it in a Hillclimb?

It realy isn't all that threatening. You can go as fast or slow as you want. The Vintage/ Historic classes will alow you to run with just the original Roll Bar.

We guarantee that it is the most fun you will have with your cloths (driver suit) on!

Dave Y
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member

Post by McDallion »

I don't see a diagonal bar in there. When that car was raced, it would have passed tech that way. I think the rule changed in '71 after an Opel Rallye Cadet rolled at Fleetwood and the bar folded over.
Don
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Once again Dave Yeager is getting excited without engaging his brain.(We love him anyway). You would need to make additions to the bar even for Historic. Plus the diagonal, there's no cross piece to mount the seat back( if not stock) & to attach the shoulder harness. Easy fix - if I can race a 50 year old, 4 door sedan, you can bring the Z back. Think how happy you'll make that old girl! I can picture you & Jack's Mustang together - gotta get a real loud 8 track. Give it a go, we'll all help you get started. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Ron C.
Novice

Post by Ron C. »

dspgti wrote:Are you going to run it in a Hillclimb?

It realy isn't all that threatening. You can go as fast or slow as you want. The Vintage/ Historic classes will alow you to run with just the original Roll Bar.

We guarantee that it is the most fun you will have with your cloths (driver suit) on!

Dave Y
No the car is worth too much now and to replace the gm parts would be very expensive.Its raceing days are over and I enjoy the carshows and cruise nights with it now.The 67 z28 owners are far and few and when you meet another at a carshow well you can talk all day on things that the we did to restore the cars back to when they were once new.At first I thought the car was drag raced because of the 4 point rollbar but I didnt know hillclimb or autocross only needed the same bar.Thanks don for your help looking for any records of the car on where it might have been raced,like I posted before the last 3 vin numbers are 495.Thanks Ron.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

There is a saying in vintage racing that you only race what you can afford to loose. I know many veteran racers that keep their cars locked up in garages somewhere because they say that they "can't afford to race it", or "if I wreck it, I can't afford to fix it." I understand all of that. Everytime I get behind the wheel I say, "I'm going to take it easy." If you read my post under General subjects you will see my recount of the 24 hr of Lemons. I was the last to run in our team. I assured everyone on my team and swore to my wife that I would take it easy. I WAS A MAN POSSESSED. I ran off the track (well I say I was forced off by poor drivers) more times than all my past races added together. I got 2 black flags for agreesive driving. If it wasn't for my friends on two corners (John and Mary) I had my wheels in the dirt at least 6 more times that weren't reported. Once you are suited up, get behind the wheel and waiting for the green light, the adenaline takes over and there is no stopping you till the finish line checker.

I just thought that there would be somebody out there that had more control over their urges than I have. We know it is not just a guy thing. Afterall I do recall having to pull a VINTAGE Jag off a bank "DOWN HILL" onto my flat bed without having to tilt the bed. Damn, I forgot to get pictures. Splain that one to us Sue!

Come on everyone, how are we going to get these other suckers ( did I say that, I meant intersted potential competitors) to get involved if tell them the truth.

Time to get serious. The Vintage and Historic groups have had the best saftey record ( especially if you take Rich "TAKE NO PRISONERS" Rock out of the picture) than any other race groups in Time Trials.

The saying should be " you race as hard as what you are willing to gamble". Some will win....some might loose. Another saying is "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. (Can't remember the 60's Rock Group that used that as their album title)

OH, OH, OH, Just remembered my favorite quote. "I'd rather be a Racer for a day than a spectator for life"

I'll shut up now.
Good bye
Dave Y
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

C'mon Ron - think of the bragging rights at all the sissy car shows! Gracie ( my Jag ) loves showing off her numbers/stickers at shows & cruises. She chuckles at the trailer queens - " I'm-having-more-fun-than YOU-are". And Dave - it wasn't my fault, Gracie just wanted to see if she could be a Jeep & climb up the bank. And, oh do I have pictures. BTW, Dave & his flat bed are wonderful; he even saved the rock I hit as a prize. Ron - at least bring the car to a hill for a visit. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Ron C.
Novice

Post by Ron C. »

I know i might sound anal about driveing my 67Z but the car has some memories from myself and a good friend of mine that worked very hard to restore the car and we had a good time doing it the first time,the second time yes second time I did the car to a correct
restoration to win a gold award 950 pionts of 1000 at the camaro nationals at carlisle Pa.I have some $$ invested and would not even consider raceing the car for fear of damageing the body.I am at the point in my life that I am looking at retirement from my job in 2 years and dont want another car to dump money into.The story behind this car with me was told in super chevy back when I won 1st at maple grove.click here for the story > http://superchevy.automotive.com/118157 ... index.html
Sue as for a visit that is possible,so long as it is a 1 day thing and not 300 miles away LOL.I am in central NJ about 2 hrs 30 min from the poconos.
Paul Eckstein
Novice

Post by Paul Eckstein »

Ron:

Steve Lloyd is the club historian for the DC Rgion of the SCCA. He has extensive archives from the Region's
racing at Marlboro. 68 and 69 was near the end of Marlboro's life cycle.
Steve's contact is wdcrhistory@comcast.net
For the past several years they have been conducting a Marlboro Reunion in conjunction with the
Jefferson 500 Vintage weekend at Summit Point May 13-15
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Yes, I was too hasty in my assesment of the car. There are more questions about the roll bar than we can address from pictures. You are better off staying on the porch and watch the big dogs run.
You know the old saying, "Fast cars race in a straight line. Fast cars and short attention span drivers can go fast if they follow the guy in front of them so that they don't get lost but they can only turn left. Fast drivers race around corners in more than one direction."

Dave Y
Ron C.
Novice

Post by Ron C. »

Just driveing around here in my town is a hazard LOL. I am not a racecar driver by any means and thats another reason not to risk an incident with it.I enjoy haveing such a nice peice of auto history and if anything were to happen to it i would be very upset.That goes for my other cars as well.It just takes so much to restore a car and it would be sad to have one totaled out.I do drive them but not like I stole them LOL.