Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Rolling History...

Post by Ron Mann »

Some of you may or may not have noticed the little car I brought out to Weatherly this past weekend…

It is actually a little bit of rolling history…a car that was last run at Weatherly in 1988…but was first run at Giant's Despair in 1973!

This particular car was first owned by Mike Oleyar, owner of the Little Foreign Car Shop in Freeland, PA. He became one of the earliest Subaru dealers in PA. Mike was a PHA driver for many years…about 1963 - 1970 going from an MGA to an A Production Corvette (that he also ran in the Trans-AM series). Upon reception of his first batch of Subaru's, he immediately started work on preparing one to race. Mike began his "development-through-racing" plan with Subaru…a plan to make the first competitive Subaru in America.

The car ran at Giant's Despair in 1973, driven by Tom Donald...and did much more road racing. Subaru pulled out of the project and left Mike to continue the development on his own. The car was featured in Small Cars magazine in 1975.

The car was sold to another PHA veteran, Jerry Coffee who then sold it to Horace Franco who redid the car with Ken Lewis in 1987 as the Superoo. The car ran in GT-4 class against the Alvey & Wayne Ford in their Toy Twister. In the hopes of making the car even faster…it was fitted with a Judson supercharger and a Weber side draft carb arrangement that ultimately led to the demise of the engine. The car was then sent to the barn, where it sat for almost 20 years until I purchased the car.

It took a few years to get it running…but now it is back! This past weekend's first run was a little marred by a fuel pump failure…but thanks to the wonderful support of the PHA family, especially Rich Rock and Kurt Eikenberg…the Superoo did manage to make one successful trip up and back Weatherly mountain!! It was the longest distance the car had moved under its own power in over 20 years! I was pleased at this accomplishment! But…what was even more important was looking over at the car and seeing Mike Oleyar, hand on fender…peering into the engine bay! A reunion long overdue!
Attachments
1973 Giant's result
1973 Giant's result
Small Car 1975 B Page 02werwer.jpg
Small Car 1975 B Covercrop.jpg
Last edited by Ron Mann on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
wrxtypr
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 555
Current Racecar: 96 Impreza 2dr turbo

Re: Rolling History...

Post by wrxtypr »

Ron, awesome looking car and great job getting it up the hill competitively!!

I'm always glad to see another Subaru in the series.
PHA car #555
acorazza
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 8
Current Racecar: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Post by acorazza »

It was great to see that car there. I'm sure Mike had a good time checking it out. Thanks for saving a little piece of Subaru history. My Subaru of America sales rep (a Weatherly Native) was there and took a picture with his phone of the car to show some people back at Subaru.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Photos from Weatherly...past and present.
Attachments
Photo by Rich Sweigart -  1988
Photo by Rich Sweigart - 1988
Photo by Phaedra Long -  2009
Photo by Phaedra Long - 2009

timurf
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 109
Current Racecar: 1968 Datsun Roadster

Post by timurf »

I'll repeat myself by saying that the diversity of hardware is one of things I love most about this group.

To me at least, its the cars that you least expect to be raced that look the coolest when they are all gutted and re-engineered and otherwise prepared for war. It takes talent to convert a 911 into a competitive racer; it takes a complete nutcase/mad scientist to make a competitive early generation Subie!

Thanks for bringing it out, Ron, and for the comprehensive documentation for which you're known...
Tim Murphy
68 Roadster
69 Roadster
other Datsuns too
Phaedra
Novice

Post by Phaedra »

Ron, that is really such an amazing story - thank you so much for sharing it! I wonder how many other cars in our club have similar stories? I know quite a few vehicles have been passed around - it would be interesting to see some of their time lines and past/present pictures. :D
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

PHA really is a circle within circles. I remember the car with both Mike & Horace. As a side note, Mike was involved with my MGA back in the day. He built at least one of the motors that came with the car when I bought it in 1979. Bored out with Buick pistons! We need to get Mike, Keith Weidner, Art Garrett & Joe Wilkie to write a "Tales of the MGA".
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
timurf
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 109
Current Racecar: 1968 Datsun Roadster

Post by timurf »

Right - even cooler that the car has hillclimb history. Sue - where's the MGA been anyway? Miss that dinosaur.

A few years back I had the opportunity to buy one of the old Schuler Bros. Datsun roadsters which ran PA hillclimbs in the 70's and maybe 80's. I kick myself that I didn't; but I already had too many cars (including my present 2000 which sucked up all my time.) Then someone in New Zealand went and bought the damn thing. Ron - out of curiosity - do you have any photos of that team?
Tim Murphy
68 Roadster
69 Roadster
other Datsuns too
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

I have no photos of the Schuler brothers in the archives.... :oops:

but they are here:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/ph ... /280Z.html

Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

The TVR I had at Weatherly is another former PHA car that sat for years. It used to belong to Larry Bickel, who ran the car a few times back in the early 90's, I believe. The first outing, following the 15+ year dormancy, was at Fall Jefferson.

Bill Shields' MGB used to belong to Lloyd Geib. Bill's daughter Joanna began competing in the car this year.

Rich Rock
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

classic photo of Rich's TVR...driven by Larry Bickel
Attachments
bickel, licklidecropppppp.jpg