Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Re: The Kings of Giant's Despair...

Post by Ron Mann »

Hi Ted...

Jim Willauer drove the LeGrand F5000 in the 78 - 79 seasons in PHA. He ran a Cooper in the 75 -76 seasons.
Jake's Cooper-Chevy (I believe this to be the Koveleski/Smith car) was certainly an FTD winner at many events.

Do you have a result sheet that may solve the mystery? I got my info of the Willauer from a verbal account and HIS comments on his license application.

As far as Floyd...I certainly didn't forget him. If you are referring to the 1993 event...?? I know a lot about it...but you're not going to find his name on any official paperwork recognizing him for FTD or breaking the hill record...that went down before my time, and the reasons why can be explained by some one else....

For the record; Floyd Schrammeck, in his Reynard, made a 42.287 pass at the 1993 Giant's Despair hill climb. It was classed as an exhibition run...and not an official time. John Habling was awarded FTD with his time of 43.919 since it was "official" time.

Again....I wasn't there...before my time...and I won't comment on any of the details leading up to and after the event here.
Attachments
see Jim's notes on his application....esp, 1978 Giant's Despair
see Jim's notes on his application....esp, 1978 Giant's Despair
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Saw Jake this afternoon, might see him again Thursday. I'll try to remember to ask him what he remembers.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Jake remembers beating Oscar's hill record with the F5000 LeGrande but says he doesn't remember the year and regrets that he did not save any results,etc from when he was active. He also says he really misses hillclimbing and wishes he was healthy enough to do it again
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

what a mystery!! an official result sheet would be great!! someone has to have one!! speaking of that....please see new post.

also...would love to speak/meet Jake....email me his contact info or vice versa!

Ted Klaus
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 6
Current Racecar: '78Wheeler FSV, '70CaldwellD10 FSV

Post by Ted Klaus »

Rich, Ask Jake if he still has his trophy 's and if so what the date is for his win and FTD at giants--that should clear up this mystery--I still think it was in 1978.
Ted K.
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Have in my hands on an official GD result sheet from the 1978 event....it lists James Willauer as FTD winner in his Legrand. According to this document...Jake is not listed as running. Entrants in group 15 (mod 1) were Eric Wagner & Dennis Anderson. group 16 (mod 2 & Formula 1) entrants were; Ozzie, Joe Wilkie, Al Knepper and Frank Troxell. Group 17 (mod 3 & Formula 1).....James Willauer.

I also now have the Up HIll newsletter with the season ending points for 1978. Jake ended up with only 10 pts for Class 17 (mod 3 & Formula 1). Willauer won the class. When it came down to season FTD...it ended as such: Frank Troxell, Al Knepper, Eric Wagner, Bob Oswald Sr., Jim Willauer, Roy Wallheinke, John Debaugh, Bob Lewis, Scott Beshore & Dan Licklider.