New Hankook Tires

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

I just got back from Summit Point this weekend where it seemed like we had just about every type of weather. From sun and clouds to dry, wet and even a few snow flurries. Fortunately Joe Specht and CJ's were able to get me a set of the new Hankook Z211 tires so I had something to run in the less than dry sessions. I already had a set of Kumho V710's for dry weather but looking at the forecast I realized I need a set of intermediate tires. That's when I called Joe and he happened to have a set of Z211's in their C30 compound. That is the hard compound and if I had the choice I would say their medium compound would have worked even better for my car but the tires have only just arrived in the country and availability was limited for last weekend.

I did get to run the tires on both Friday and Saturday which including some full wet and drying track conditions. The tires really lived up to my expectations. The tire was really comfortable on a wet track and even handled some standing water without too much drama. I was able to easily chase people down in the rain during the second qualifying session and the car was stable enough to drive right past them as they slid around. In another test session that went from damp to drying the tires gripped well and stayed nicely consistent. I didn't get the impression they were going to get greasy but the session was cut short before I could be sure of that.

Overall, I would say they are a good all around tire to have with good grip in dry conditions without getting slippery and nice and stable in the rain. Just what a good intermediate tire should be and also a good choice if you can't afford multiple sets of tires for every type of weather. Based on last weekend I'm looking forward to trying some of the other new tire models Hankook has out now.
~Matt Rowe