GCR question

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

GCR question

Post by svann »

I run a SVRA legal 1970 Caldwell D9 in Historic 3. These rules for vintage formula cars are based on the 1973 SCCA GCR. In the FF1600 class we are restricted to 13 X 5.5 wheels, restricted 1600 cc Ford Cortina engines (only blue printing and head work allowed, no cam or compression changes allowed), etc. I assume the PHA Historic 3 class for various formula classes are also restricted to period SCCA rules in regard to allowed modifications. Am I correct in that or are allowances made for larger engines or wider wheels? I know a previous F5000 entrant and H3 hill record holder ran a engine that was over 5000 cc displacement, based on info I read in an online forum.

Thanks, Stan
Stan Vann
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Re: GCR question

Post by TKnorr »

The PHA historic classes follow the 1972 GCRs. Further modifications are delineated in the PHA supplemental rules for historic classes.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Re: GCR question

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Stan,

The PHA Vintage rules are based from the SCCA Vintage Rules, which are from the 1972 GCR. Only deviation is the PHA supps, which over ride the 72 GCR. Historic 3 is a catch all class for pre-73 formula car and sports racers except for certain classes like F5000, Super Vee. As far as a car bending the rules; unless a fellow driver or entrant has a written protest with a list of items under protest and provide a tear down bond at the event, we can only assume that the car is legal. What happens after the event or on a online forum is just hear say. In all my years in SCCA, usually the driver that is cheating, is the driver at the bottom of the time sheets.
Rich Sweigart