Oil Pump Question/Clarification

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Kgrazor
Novice

Oil Pump Question/Clarification

Post by Kgrazor »

I'm going to run my Miata in SPU this coming season becuase of an engine change. For the last two years I ran the car as a Spec Miata so it is a production based car, not a tube frame car. In addition to rebuilding an engine the builder is also installing an electrically driven supercharger, hence the reason for the class change to SPU. He wants to use a dry sump oiling system but wants to use an electrically powered oil pump. From everything I've read in the GCR oil pumps may be changed but must be "mechanically driven". The question is; is an electrically driven oil pump a "mechanically driven" oil pump or is the GCR stating the pump must be driven by the engine?

Secondly, if the class SPU/SPO is used for vehicles that are prepped beyond production and GT class rules would the electric oil pump by allowed if those two classes don't allow it?

Thanks,
Ken
#25 (former) Spec Miata
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Re: Oil Pump Question/Clarification

Post by miniacmike »

HI Ken. My opinion of mechanically driven would be powered by a shaft, gear, belt. Something from the drivetrain. In short....no. Electric is not mechanically driven, it is electrically driven. As far as being allowed I would have to check farther in to it. I will get back to you later when I have time to look.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

I have to agree, electrical is not mechanical driven.
Go to the specs page for your class/category. If it does not list the elect drive pump it is not allowed.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Ken,

I agree that a pump driven by an electric motor is not considered a "mechanical" pump. Think "fuel pump" for comparison.

But, to answer the "real" question, which is whether an electric oil pump is legal in Super Production, at this time all I can say is "maybe". I sent you a private message.

Rich Rock
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

The short answer is "yes". An external electric oil pump is legal in Super Production.

This answer comes after a call to National, who said that since it's a regional class, the answer must come from the region. So, I contacted three different officials from DC Region, including their chief of tech, and all three agree that the external electric oil pump is legal in Super Production. Seems to me this verification is adequate, and we should allow the electric oil pump, too.

Personally, I would find it difficult to trust an oil pump that relies on electricity, but that's because I'm an old British Car/Lucas Electrics guy ;-)

Seriously, though, Ken is working with Duryea Technologies, a Reading-based company ( and Reading Hillclimbs sponsor) that's at the forefront of brushless motor development. It's great that this work is happening on a PHA car!

Rich
Kgrazor
Novice

Post by Kgrazor »

This is a long overdue thank you to Rick Rock for inquiring and clarifying my question on the electric fuel pump. I greatly appreciate your contacting the national office as well as the DC region in order to determine if the oil pump configuration is acceptable.

I look forward to the development of the car this year and the learning curves, both in driving the car and learning the technology.

Thanks again Rich!

Ken
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Happy to help, Ken! I'm very interested in seeing how things go for you this year!

Rich