Inspection Clarification Please

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

jesfromric
Novice
Current Racecar: '97 Mazda Miata extensive modifications.

Inspection Clarification Please

Post by jesfromric »

Is the SCCA tech. inspection form all I need to run Polish Mountain?
OR
Is there some kind of formal SCCA inspection with a SCCA "sticker" of some kind that I need?

I cannot find anyone in the Richmond VA area that is a "sanctioned SCCA" inspector.

I just dropped my car off at a shop that used to do SCCA for them to run through the checklist but he said they can no longer provide a "sticker".

Again, I don't want to haul my car all the way to MD and find out I cannot run for some reason.

Thanks

The clock is ticking down to this event and I don't want to miss it!
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Inspection Clarification Please

Post by Rick Kase »

To answer that we need to know what your running and the level of build, give as many details as you can. The SCCA tech form is a good guide but it may or not all apply to you vehicle. The tech sticker is issued Only at the event. The hardest item is the roll bar/cage, has it been approved by ANY SCCA inspector and is a log book been issued; this is possible at the event but can be a problem.
The class for the car can effect the level of prep. & equipment. Is it a street car or a full race vehicle?
Remember a car cannot be approved over the net or phone it must be seen by a licensed inspector.

Hopefully someone in your area will see this post and be able to look at it for you.

I am willing to talk to you and try to get you started, home phone 610-987-9646, please before 7 PM.
or post it to this forum as many inspectors will reply.

Rick Kase
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

This seems to be a bit of a sticking point since I have no idea what class I will be in!
The site says something like, "We'll find a place for you..."

I am running a Miata.
It is NOT spec.
It is road legal - with a VA State Inspection
It is fully race prepared (gutted) with a full, professionally built, cage custom built to my size = broomstick +2".

No internal engine modifications, normally aspirated.
Aftermarket intake, header/hi-flow cat/exhaust, street-perf. brake pads, slotted discs, FM coil over suspension, FM upgraded sways, FM frame rail braces, Toyo R1s, Momo wheel on QR.

Full 5 point harnesses, Sparco Sprint V seat, engine/electric cut-off, window net, center net, fire extinguisher.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the guidance!
I sooooo want to run Polish Mountain.
gmreider
Racer
PHA Permanent Number: 13
Current Racecar: SAAB 93 900S 86 900S

Post by gmreider »

Some detailed pictures of the cage and the diameter of the tubing and the wall thickness might help some of the guys on the site . Is there an inspection hole drilled in the hoop?
they might be able to spot some issue and comment ?
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

1.5" DOM
0.095 wall
No inspection hole - was told that was done during inspection?

I'll load pictures when I get car back or if I can find some at home this evening.

Thanks
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

If your professionally built cage was built using the SCCA GCR as a guide, you should not have any problem.
It is the driver's responsibility to properly class his/her vehicle but the tech inspector can help guide you. If the car meets all safety requirements, there will be an appropriate class to run in.

Try to get there early as some of the inspectors may show up early as well and be able to get you squared away. Play it safe and bring along a drill and bits and be prepared to drill the inspection holes as directed by the tech inspector. If this is your first event you are going to be pretty busy with registration, a new car to be inspected have log book issued and and then novice orientation. You do not want to have go searching for stuff. If you have a checklist, go over it before leaving home. Getting there early will also provide time to drive the hill in your tow vehicle. Even better is to get a ride with an experienced driver that will point out the correct line and give you some tips for what to look out for. Take it easy in your first event. It is a lot more satisfying to go home after your first event with your race car undamaged.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

Thanks!

I hope to get there around 10 - 12 on Friday if that sounds right?

Attached are some pictures (sorry very poor quality).
Attachments
rb3.jpg
rb2.jpg
rb1.jpg
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

Last 3
Attachments
rb6.jpg
rb5.jpg
rb4.jpg