Car classification assistance - lots of modifications

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

KeithBoden
Novice

Car classification assistance - lots of modifications

Post by KeithBoden »

I've been digging through existing posts, and attempting to read through the GCR, time trial rules, and the Hillclimb Supplementary Regs, but need a little guidance in classifying my car. I've modified almost everything on my car because I enjoy designing and fabricating parts. I also like to have fun with the car, even though I don't fit well into most classifications, and have run with EMRA and Trackdaze, and would like to safely enjoy a learning new driving skills through hillclimbing. Can someone help classify my car so I can dig further into the GCR and Supp Regs to identify what areas I need to address so my car is safe?

Car
1986 (3rd gen) Camaro, street driven, almost full interior

Engine and mods
  • Aftermarket big block chevy (not a swap within model years or a factory option)
    Custom fuel injection
    Centrifugal supercharger
    Custom intake
Drivetrain, suspension, brake mods
  • 6 speed manual trans
    Coilover conversion up front
    Pushrod conversion in back
    Suspension links, torque arms, mounts, a-arms etc. are all custom
    Ford 9" housing in rear, different gears and differential
    Disc brakes in rear instead of factory drums
    Bigger discs and calipers up front +cooling ducts
Safety mods
  • Roll bar (main hoop and rear braces are 1.75" x .134 wa, all welded to plates that are welded to structural parts of the unibody, LCA mounts, shock mounts)
    Front A-pillar bars from the floor up and across the windshield, plus 2 longitudinal members meet the FIA basic cage design in Appendix J, Article 253, 8.3.1 (everything else is 1.75"x .120 wa, all welded)
    My door bars look like picture 253-11, with the upper crossing between the shoulder and elbow
    I need a main hoop diagonal, planning on adding one following 8.3.2.4, picture 253-47 if I make it removable, or welding it in
    I don't have A-pillar reinforcements or roof diagonals, although the structural portion of the T-tops is tied into my two longitudinal roof bars
    Corbeau seats with anti-sub belt hole (looking at going to fixed back FIA or fabricating a seat-back mount if needed)
    5-pt harnesses (with proper belt angle to the rear, mounted to reinforced points in the rear, but not using a harness bar)
    Fire extinguisher
RAY321
Novice

Re: Car classification assistance - lots of modifications

Post by RAY321 »

I would say SM, street Modified class.
Ray Hollister
731 Chevy Cobalt
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Regarding car classification, talk to me at the PHA meeting. Just ask anyone for MREVIL.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Hi Keith. We met at the PHA meeting Saturday. After talking to some people to confrim things it looks like the only class for your Camaro is special 3. We don't use the C.A.M. class in PHA. Sorry bout that. If you can add the bars we talked about to your cage then you should be good to go.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I would think we can use that class. Its a national solo class.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
KeithBoden
Novice

Post by KeithBoden »

Nuts,
Here are the items I had noted as needing to address from the discussions on Saturday:
  • Harness bar, height matching shoulders, harness mounting points moved to harness bar
    Better seat, and seat back brace
    Steel hold down on battery
If CAM is a no-go, then I think the bars Mike is referring to were roof bars (I kind of lost track of that once we started talking CAM. :mrgreen: )

So I dug back into the GCR to read about those bars, because I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would add two bars out near the edges and high, with as tight as I have the windshield and main hoops tucked, and still weld the full circumference.

2015 GCR April 1, 9.4.B.2.d, p 113:
Open cars must have 2 braces extending forward from the main hoop and attaching to the front hoop, not more than 6 inches below the top of the front and main hoop. It is recommended that the front and rear braces attach to the main hoop as close as possible to each other.

I would never argue the greater effectiveness of the roof bars being out near the edge instead of close to the middle like mine, but is there any possibility that I could pass tech with my current roof bars, given that they seem to meet the requirement listed above? At least until I figure out how the heck I can cram two more roof bars in there without them being 6" inboard, or next to my ear :mrgreen:
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Keith,

There are many solo classes we do not run like prepared and modified, or even street stock classes. If your is prepped beyond Street Modified as some are suggesting, then you need to look at GCR classes or PHA accepted classes. In some of these you can retain just a roll bar, but if you car is prepped beyond those rules, then you are forced to Special classes which require a full roll cage. You can do a halo bar or down tubes with a roof bar and dash bar. I know this is confusing, but we will all try to help point you in the right direction.

Steve
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

PM sent.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
KeithBoden
Novice

Post by KeithBoden »

PM received, I'll be in touch! Thanks to everyone that is helping me work this out! Attached is the 'cage' as it is right now.
Attachments
Roll cage.JPG
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Keith,

The other issue I see is the design of the front tubes. The GCR states that the front tubes must go to the floor. In your design it goes to the firewall. It also states the tubes must follow the roof line from the main hoop to the windshield. I know that was you main issue. If you can get national office to sign off on the design, it would be easier for us to accept it. Their main concern will be no head support in the main cockpit area. AS stated above, you will need a horizontal bar in the main hoop as well. The only other item that may come into play here is whether this is classified as an open or closed car depending on whether or not the t-tops are used. Some classes allow for glass sunroofs if bolted in place, others require that they be removed and/or replaced with metal. If removed, then I would guess it would need to meet rules for open car? Not sure what your intentions are there.

You can email me or message me if you have other questions.

Steve
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

mrevilracing wrote:I would think we can use that class. Its a national solo class.
Steve, that is not a recognized class according to Time Trial Rules, they only specify:

ELIGIBILITY OF VEHICLES: All vehicles meeting the minimum vehicle safety equipment
standards:
• All current GCR (both National and Regional) classes
• Solo Street Prepared and Street Mod classes
• Vintage-legal (SCCA, HSR, SVRA, etc.) cars
• Other classes (such as Specials, Rally, Legends, other race series, etc)
• Automatic transmissions and hand controls are allowed.