Log book / Giants Hill Climb

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

sspano01
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 17
Current Racecar: 1967 Shelby Cobra Replica
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

Log book / Giants Hill Climb

Post by sspano01 »

Hi Folks!

Been talking about bringing my 1967 Pontiac GTO "Road Race" car to the Giants Hill Climb
Its getting close! I hope to paint it in about 3 weeks, most of the mechanical is complete.
Finishing some roll cage welding this week.
Even sucked it up and spent the $$$ on the ATL Fuel Cell...expensive gas tank!!!

http://instagram.com/p/ZBr3_wmVBi/

My plan is to take this to the SCCA Historic Race Group's off-track tech day this weekend and see if I can get the cage stamped and a log-book assigned.
Welds are almost finished...some are not super pretty... but it is totally fused together and the welds are continuous without any burn through or so.

Assuming I can get a cage # and log book, would that make tech-in at the hill climb pretty straight forward?

Thanks
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Re: Log book / Giants Hill Climb

Post by FV95 »

Having the logbook and a stamped rollbar in advance does make it easier. BUT, PHA/SCCA tech inspectors will give the car a close look at your first event. Of equal importance is a license/novice permit for you. Do you have a competition license or will you be starting with a Time Trial Novice Permit? If so, one can be obtained at registration at the event, but it is really time saving if you apply for it in advance from the SCCA. When you first get a permit, you will have to fill out a "self" medical form. When you apply for the TT license, an MD will have to complete medical forms.
Hope to see you at the Giant [but remember, if you make some quick progress, we have Jefferson ( a great place to test & tune while competing), Weatherly and Pagoda before the Giant].
John PItman
sspano01
Novice
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

Post by sspano01 »

Hi John

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I already have a club racing novice permit. I actually did apply and have a time-trial novice permit...but i think i dont really need that with the club racing permit? I received my permit in October last year when i did a regional race at Watkins with a Spec Racer Ford. I've already been to the Bertil Roos 3-day and am going to the 2-day next week in NJMP. Then racing at Watkins with my SRF over memorial day - so I should have a national permit by the time I get to Giants :)

I should have the car ready over the next month. Its very close.
Is there a June event? Where is Jefferson?
Perhaps I could come down sometime in the next 4 weeks and make sure there is no show stopper with my car?
I'd really like to run some events with it

Thanks
sspano01
Novice
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

Post by sspano01 »

oh i see on the schedule! maybe i can come to the weatherly event on june 8? the may 25 event is over memorial day so I will be at watkins.
Can i plan to come to june 8 event and see about tech then and maybe some runs? It could be fully ready by then i think. i need a few more weeks.

thanks
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Sounds good.