### Fuel Cell Needs

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

sspano01
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 17
Current Racecar: 1967 Shelby Cobra Replica
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

### Fuel Cell Needs

Post by sspano01 »

Hi Folks,

question on fuel cell need/usage for my 1967 GTO I am working on and would like to run Giant's this year with it.

What is the real requirement for a fuel cell? GCR 9.3 seems to say that if a car is a 'vintage' class, then it would not need a fuel cell? Otherwise it would need an FIA cell.
I'm at the point here where I am going to order the fuel cell/tank. An FIA cell is closer to the $800 range, where as a 'basic fuel cell tank' is closer to $200.

Any thoughts/comments would be great.

Thanks!

Steve Spano
mckee

Re: ### Fuel Cell Needs

Post by mckee »

Steve,

I've been doing this since the early sixties, and I'm still here boring folks with how good I used to be. One of the reasons I'm still around is that since they've become available (late sixties), I've used fuel cells in my cars. Rich Rock or Steve Marsh can give you a rule-requirement opinion, but hill climbing is a violent sport -- you can't be too well prepared.

If you've ever hung upside down inside an inverted race car for any length of time, and listened for, but did not hear the gentle drip-drip of leaking race fuel you would be as thrilled with fuel cells as I.

I wanted to race a GTO in German hill climbs in '64 & '65 but it was economically unfeasible. In 1967 I came in 2nd to a GTO at a NH hill climb. I mention this so as to encourage you to bring the GTO to our events. They do OK. You'll have a ball with it.

Brgds,
Bob D
sspano01
Novice
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

Post by sspano01 »

Hi Bob,

thanks for the reply! I agree on the can't be too well prepared idea :) and thanks for the encoragement on the GTO idea. I think it will be pretty unique and it should be a fun time, which is the main point right ?!

I was looking at the ATL fuel cell which is an FIA approved cell with the bladder/roll-over valve/etc.
The alternate one (much lower cost) was an aluminum cell, not FIA approved, with internal foam/ roll-over valve and such. Seems like it would keep the fuel in place if it was upside down, so much much better than a stock "can". But not FIA-3 certified.

What are you running with these days?
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

You are correct in that the GCR requires the fuel cell. If you plan to run Club racing.---------------------- If you will only run Time Trials use the Time Trials rules, they are different. A fuel cell is highly recommended but not necessarily required, look at the rule that applies to your class.

Rick Kase
sspano01
Novice
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

Post by sspano01 »

Ah got it! I see, thanks.
I have another car that I am planning to use for regular club-racing. Seems like the vintage groups don't really require an FIA certified fuel cell either.
I may still get the ATL FIA-3 fuel cell, but either way, I will definately put some safe tank in there that wont splash me with fuel or leak!

thanks
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

I highly recommend the best fuel cell you can afford. And do NOT run any pump gas that has ethanol in it. I have been hearing horror stories about ethanol damaging fuel cells. That leaves you with racing fuel, or if you can find a station with real gasoline vice the blended crap. You could verify the ethanol rumor by asking the fule cell provider....maybe the latest ones have solved that issue. Looking forward to seeing the GTO on the hills.
John
sspano01
Novice
1966 Mustang Convertible
1967 Pontiac GTO

Post by sspano01 »

Thanks for the info and advice, definately try to stay away from ethanol!

I'm going with the ATL FIA-3 rated fuel cell, better option, better safety, and maybe i can run it in a regular SCCA race for grins one day.

Looking forward to getting it on the road soon and ready for a hill climb :)
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

The 2012 time trials rules state that fuel cells are not required, but if the car has a fuel cell, that fuel cell must meet all requirements in GCR 9.3.26 and all subsections. 2013 time trials rules are not yet published, but I am not aware of any changes planned for fuel cell rules. Your decision to go with the FIA-approved cell is the right choice.
MGB GT-R
Novice
Current Racecar: #3 MG B GT

Post by MGB GT-R »

So how does this rule apply to production-based Specials? Could you retain the factory fuel tank? If you put a fuel cell in the car, would it have to be an FIA cell or could it be a cheaper plastic cell?
MGB GT-R
Novice
Current Racecar: #3 MG B GT

Post by MGB GT-R »

Bueller? Bueller?