Getting closer......

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Getting closer......

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, we hit the dyno today to do the fuel adjustments after changing from the little straw sized fuel lines to 8AN. I had to leave early to get to work but here is the dyno sheet so far. I don't expect too much more power-wise out of it, if at all. But it's making good power now. With the heat we generate, I am expecting a 30hp loss minimum, which looks like we'll still be ok, I hope. Battling with Mike will be exciting. The only issue we have now is that we didn't wrap the headers. The heat coming from them onto the starter is causing it not to start when hot. On the dyno, we are able to have a serious fan on that side of the car. Not sure what'll happen come race day. But we're gonna work on getting those headers wrapped. Not sure how successful we'll be as they are roll cage sized and VERY difficult to get to. And I mean DIFFICULT at best. But here's the dyno sheet. This is +50hp over last year. Just the addition of headers, crank polishing and cam journal adjustments Added the power.

RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Re: Getting closer......

Post by miniacmike »

That's some very nice numbers out of a little 4.6L . I think you're pushing a few more ponys than mine. Once I get the trans fixed I will bring it down for a run. For now I'll have to battle you in the slow camaro(the grey one). It should still be fun though. Less horsepower but it's much lighter so it should still be close.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

Damn, very nice. I have a bunch of that aluminized kevlar heat fabric laying around, Ill bring some to the meeting. Depending on how successful you are at wrapping the headers maybe you could just throw a wrap of this stuff around the starter??

Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

11 to 1 air/fuel is very fat! 12.5 is where that motor will work the safest and still stay cool. Why so rich?
Regards,

Tim Royer
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Used aluminum Kevlar wrap on the starter and clamped a deflection shield around the header tubes. Don't wrap the whole header, causes to many other issues along with catching fire.
Regards,

Tim Royer
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

Tim Royer wrote:11 to 1 air/fuel is very fat! 12.5 is where that motor will work the safest and still stay cool. Why so rich?
As far as I know about his motor......somewhat high compression+boost= 11 to 11.9 A/F ratio. You could go little leaner but it's not as easy on the motor after hammering it all day.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hey MiniMike and Evil,

11.8 to 12 is prefect for me for a turbo, it just looks like it is closer to 11 on the graph. It will work ok where it is but I would be concerned about a few things. At 4500rpm it starts leaning out and what rpm will it be run to max? 6000rpm? I can't see the whole sheet at high rpm up to max rpm. Running at 11 is a high air density with allot of excess fuel. This will cause high carbon build up in the combustion chamber, plugs, and turbo. I would check the plugs after a run and look at the color. What compression pistons are in this anyway? Heads? 42lb injectors? 9-10psi boost? Fuel pressure is at? Do you have specs posted somewhere? Doing pretty good so far Evil, good work!
Regards,

Tim Royer
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

That looks fun! That is ALOT more HP then I had. (not for long tho!)
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8