Tire Heat Cycling

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

RallyKeith
Novice
Current Racecar: Isn't every car a race car????

Tire Heat Cycling

Post by RallyKeith »

We just purchased a set of Falken Azenis RT-615K to run the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in our Subaru WRX. What should we be doing to them to get the best life and performance out of them. Is just taking them up to highway speeds for 10-15minutes and then letting them cool good enough?

Thanks,
Keith
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: Tire Heat Cycling

Post by dspgti »

Hey Keith,
I think you need to ask the factory or a knowledgable dealer. It kind of varies by manufacturer and type of race tire. If you ever read the break in procedure of Hoosiers you'd be surprised and it is different on slicks, DOT, radials and bias. I remember one time having to go out and heat cycle a set of slicks that required a cool down of 24 hours that I shortened the time by putting them in the cab of my truck and running the air conditioner for 8 hours.

Good Luck at the "climb to the clouds". By the way, do you have altitude compensation? You might need it.

Dave Y
RallyKeith
Novice

Post by RallyKeith »

That's the beauty of a turbo charged motor. Turbo will just be spinning a little faster!
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Keith, I believe those are more street tires and i'm not sure you need to heat cycle street tires. (At least those were the Street tire to have for auto-x 6 or so years ago and i dont recal any heat cycling recomendations). Maybe Joe Specht could shed some light on that?
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
RallyKeith
Novice

Post by RallyKeith »

jerdeitzel wrote:Keith, I believe those are more street tires and i'm not sure you need to heat cycle street tires. (At least those were the Street tire to have for auto-x 6 or so years ago and i dont recal any heat cycling recomendations). Maybe Joe Specht could shed some light on that?
In Falken's words they are "Street Legal Motorsports and DOT Approved Track Competition Tire." From what I'm reading on some places like the Honda and Sentra Forums, they need some form of break in, if no other reason but to wear off the mold release agent. Some people are suggesting 500 miles of regular street driving to insure that, or getting the tires shaved 1-2/32". Mt. Washington has some unpaved sections so tread and tread depth is important.

Keith