IMPACT Decertified by SFI

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

IMPACT Decertified by SFI

Post by FV95 »

The link below is a statement from SFI, stating they have decertified IMPACT as a provider of racing safety equipment effective April 2010.

SFI Decertifies IMPACT

http://www.sfifoundation.com/Decertific ... -26-10.pdf
Richard Elliott
Novice

Re: IMPACT Decertified by SFI

Post by Richard Elliott »

I would trust Impact before I would trust SFI. SFI has been on Simpson ass ever since big E net his maker.
Better to be a has been, than a never was.
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Per the traffic on the FV Forum, apparently a nationally licensed SCCA tech inspector can certify the IMPACT suits against a list of SCCA approved materials. I am still watching the traffic, and expect something will come out in FAST TRACK...at least I hope so. I will report what I have up to the time of the PHA business meeting on 4/10/10. Meanwhile folks, keep your eyes and ears open for any guidance from Topeka.
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

John,

This is much bigger than just suits. The SCCA requires SFI patches on window nets, belts, and non-Snell helmets. Remember, Impact is the same company that was selling faux HANS tethers,now it using faux SFI labels. Seriously, folks if, you have any Impact gear; read the GCR and see how it applies to your gear, keep up to date with FASTRACK updates. We have 2 months before the first event, be prepared for the worst case that some of the stuff will have to be replaced.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

John, the link didn't work:

URL Not Found (404) - is what I got.

BUT: http://www.sfifoundation.com/
That is the front page and there is a link 1/2 way down that you can go to the pdf.
Here is the pdf link IF that works: http://www.sfifoundation.com/UpdateDece ... -29-10.pdf

If these allegations are true, why would one purchase any safety products from said company? If they'll counterfit a clip or a patch, what ELSE would they counterfit?
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Clip article from the SFI site:

July, 2009

July 19, 2009 - NOTICE OF TEMPORARY PRODUCT DECERTIFICATION. Effective July 9, 2009: Pursuant to SFI Test Laboratory reports, SFI Foundation, Inc. has reason to believe that certain Impact Racing products manufactured in the year 2007 do not fully comply with the minimum standards set forth in the SFI Specification 3.2A Program. Therefore, pursuant to Section 12.0 of the program, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, and UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, any and all driver suits, pants, and jackets manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Spec 3.2A/15 and 3.2A/20 at any time during the year 2007 are hereby TEMPORARILY DECERTIFIED by SFI Foundation, Inc. This temporary decertification applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, upgraded, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This temporary decertification applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI label affixed to the product. The date of manufacture of the product is determinative.

This decertification is temporary and will remain in effect until further notice from SFI. The manufacturer has challenged SFI’s findings in this matter and is conducting its own review of the findings and the full compliance of the products in question. SFI’s investigation continues. This decertification may be modified, withdrawn, or made permanent.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I own a Simpson suit so I wouldn't have had any reason to look at this stuff. Now I do.

Prior decert.
March, 2009

March 20, 2009 - IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL. Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc. and must be immediately returned to Impact Racing offices or an Impact representative. Impact Racing has reason to believe that these products do not fully comply with the stated SFI Specifications and therefore do not meet SFI manufacturer certification requirements. This recall applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This recall applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI patch or label affixed to the product. All applicable sanctioning bodies have been notified by Impact of this noncompliance. Please contact http://www.impactraceproducts.com for information or contact Impact Racing directly
Last edited by mrevilracing on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Email from Impact racing I received:

Impact Racing would like to respond to the statement on March 26, 2010 by SFI regarding their intention to decertify all SFI labeled Impact Racing products. All SFI labeled products currently being sold by Impact Racing have current SFI certification and legally obtained labels. The safety of our products has in no way been compromised. The allegation from SFI is in relation to the actual SFI tag only. We suggest at this time to continue to use your equipment, which is safe and has been certified and do not have anyone replace your tags on your products.

On March 26, 2010 the attorneys representing Impact Racing filed an appeal. There is also a hearing in court on April 1, 2010. Impact Racing will keep all of our customers informed as details unfold.

We are not accepting returns or refunds on delivered products. We suggest at this time to wait until further notice until we learn more about the details and allegations.

A formal press release will follow shortly.

Got that yesterday and just opened it.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

mrevilracing wrote:Prior suit decert.
I own a Simpson suit so I wouldn't have had any reason to look at this stuff. Now I do.

I fail to see how any Simpson suit would be affected by this. Currently, Bill Simpson has nothing to to with Simpson safety products, and hasn't for a number of years. All previously made Simpson gear is not of any concern at this time. This affects IMPACT Racing products only.

As a side note to all if you don't realize it- There are currently many issues with various safety products and their certification by SFI. This is a very emotional issue for quite a few people, so don't be surprised if people are very vocal about their opinions.

Just to be clear- currently, the issue is *not* whether or not IMPACT products are safe, or even if they do or do not meet the SFI spec. The issue is the alleged "counterfitting" of labels affixed to products made by IMPACT. Unfortunately, it appears that until this is resolved, all affected IMPACT products will be under great scrutiny, and may even be refused at SCCA events (this has yet to be determined). I would advise that if you own any of the mentioned IMPACT products, that you get a source for backup replacements, so that you are not left without gear should a ban on IMPACT products take place.

If I find out anything before it is announced, I'll post it.
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I see my choice of word location caused some confusion so I changed it. Basically, I bought a Simpson suit because many of the top drivers in many series wore them. Some of those drivers had firey crashes and had good protection from Simpson products. So I wanted to be in a suit that offered that type of protection, or close to it. I never even looked at another manufacturer.

As far as Impact is concerned, 3 decertifications on similar issues in 1 year? Is this normal? Counterfitting certainly isn't. If a company will counterfit a clip and a patch, I couldn't trust anything they made. But that's me and I'm a little odd.
It'll be interesting to see what the SCCA will do.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Matt Green
Novice

Post by Matt Green »

Ah, sorry.

While waiting for the "official SCCA word", we should remember that the rules require a certain SFI or FIA cert. If the product does not have an FIA cert, and is an affected IMPACT product, then as of April 27th you technically can't use it, since its SFI "certification" is no longer valid. It is my full expectation that SCCA will have an announcement pursuant as such. RallyAmerica has already done so.

Just as an aside- IF you happen to own IMPACT gear at this point, I am told that one of our PHA sponsors (and participants), Susquehanna Motorsports, can offer you some kind of deal. This is a special deal only for IMPACT product owners, so contact them directly- http://www.rallylights.com (Of course, anyone else should also visit them for their safety and other racing product needs also...)

Can I drive your car?
Matt Green
Novice

Post by Matt Green »

From SCCA:

*RACING MEMO*

*DATE:* March 31, 2010 *NUMBER*: RM
10-04

*TO*: All Participants

*SUBJECT*: SFI Decertification of Impact Products

SCCA is aware of the action taken by SFI against Impact Racing. We are in the
process of determining what action (if any) will be needed for our drivers. We
will communicate the outcome to our drivers, tech personnel and stewards via
member email and website posting when the answers have been determined. Until
further notice, it is business as usual and as long as your safety products have
SFI certification (patch/sticker) that meets our current GCR requirements, you
would be considered compliant.

Can I drive your car?
Matt Green
Novice

Post by Matt Green »

Also, from the SFI Website http://www.sfifoundation.com/---

April 1, 2010 - Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc., in the litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, have agreed that:

1. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, no counterfeit SFI Conformance Labels have been used on Impact Racing products during the production years of 2009 and 2010.

2. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, all Impact Racing products manufactured and sold during the production years 2009 and 2010 meet SFI specifications.

3. Based upon this sworn testimony, the decertification against Impact Racing products for the production years 2009 and 2010 is lifted. The decertification of the production years prior to 2009 and 2010 remains in effect. The parties will continue to work cooperatively in an effort to resolve the issues relating to decertification in these years.

4. Impact Racing stands behind the safety of all products it has manufactured and to which SFI Conformance Labels have been affixed. SFI will continue to monitor compliance with product specifications.

5. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will cooperate in determining whether any Impact Racing product bears a counterfeit SFI Conformance Label and if any safety issue exists in regard to products manufactured prior to 2009 and 2010.

6. If any Impact Racing product does not bear the date of manufacture the purchaser or user is instructed to immediately contact Impact Racing who will provide verification of the date of manufacture. Impact Racing, LLC will immediately notify SFI Foundation, Inc. of this occurrence. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will work with the sanctioning bodies to determine the best method for product users to present verification of the date of manufacture.

Can I drive your car?
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Got this email today:

IMPACT PRESS RELEASE - APRIL 20st 2010

Be advised that SFI has made the decision that as of April 27th, 2010 our products manufactured in 2008 and previous years are decertified. Impact strongly disagrees with this decision. SFI's decision does not apply to products purchased in 2009, 2010 and forward.

In light of the decertification, if any of our customers have to replace their products we can offer firesuits at a discounted price based on date of purchase, restraint systems at the trade-in price and free shipping.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Matt Green
Novice

Post by Matt Green »

If you have an affected product, please check to see if it is also FIA certified. If it is, then the SFI tag is irrelevant.

Can I drive your car?
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

IMPACT PRESS RELEASE - JUNE 21st 2010

On June 21st, 2010, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana issued a ruling granting, in part, Impact Racing's motion to preliminarily enjoin SFI Foundation from terminating Impact's Contract of Participation with SFI until SFI "does so in a manner that is unquestionably 'substantively rational and procedurally fair." According to the Court, "Impact has made a strong showing of likely success on the merits" and "until Impact is afforded fair procedure, Impact could suffer irreparable harm, if it has not already."

This means that Impact's Contracts with SFI will not terminate on June 22, 2010, as SFI had previously announced. All Impact products manufactured in 2009 and 2010 currently certified as SFI-compliant remain certified. In addition, after June 22, 2010, Impact can continue to manufacture and certify its products as SFI-compliant.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!