Here it comes........

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Here it comes........

Post by mrevilracing »

So you're wondering what happened to the sound control issue, right? Maybe you aren't. Anyway, I'm gonna bring it up again and not cause I was bored. See, we were having breakfast this morning and I opened up my copy of SportsCar magazine. Looked at the caledar and tire prices and flipped thru the pages only to get to page 44 and a nice close up of the same Radio Shack sound meter that I have 2 of. The title is APPENDIX I BECOMES MANDATORY. Now I was just a little curious and actually read the article. What was put into the 2009 Solo rules was the 100db limit and I guess was tried out last year. This year it becomes mandatory. Oh, we were at a solo event last year but they didn't meter when I was on the course. I'm certain we were over the limit. I won't be for this year.

Oh yeah, just so you guys with the 2 strokes don't think that it's just PHA picking on you. This is paragraph 3....you can go read it for yourself to verify I'm not making this up.
For some reason, BMW's seem to be very good at being loud. Rotaries are also pretty effective that way. Two-strokes may be loud, but they also tend to have a rather piercing tone even if they aren't.

So to those RE's, consider conjuring up a MANDATORY sound level somewhere below the 100db limit so we're ahead of the curve for those that don't like race car noise. If it was up to me, I'd use the Jefferson 95db limit and that would be the end of it. For those who had the arguement of needing 2 different sets of mufflers due to different track db levels, it's pretty obvious. Get a muffler that puts you in the 95db range and you're good to go. And don't bother with the 'too expensive to buy mufflers' arguement. If it's too expensive, you should be racing.

Personally, I think this sucks! Bob D'Amore's car, with that big block, shouldn't be muffled at all. That is the single most awesome sounding car on the hills and the sound SCREAMS racing and excitement. That thundering, chest shaking, awesome sound is breathtaking. Yeah, I like it! And I'd wear ear protection or cover my ears, just to feel that ground pounding vibration. But, that's me.

By the way, I am aware that the 2nd paragraph from the end says that regions aren't required to implement Appendix I and that this is only discussing National Solo events. But with the discussion that has gone on for 3 years, I hate to admit that it's time.

Just to clarify for those reading this, who are NOT PHA members, I do not sit in any official position within the PHA. These are MY comments and do not reflect the positions of the PHA board. And there ya have it.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Here it comes........

Post by Rich Rock »

Could it be that someone has hacked into Steve's account and is playing a joke on him :shock:

Rich Rock
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Here it comes........

Post by mrevilracing »

Hehe. Let's just say there isnt' enough bandwidth for me to expand on it and put all my thoughts regarding this matter on this website. The server would probably melt.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!