pre event tech question

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

pre event tech question

Post by brandonl »

I am going to run Weatherly and my car only fits in ITE. If I do not have an SCCA club racing logbook at that time, but my car is compliant according to the GCR's, can I just show up? Do I have to get a logbook issued in advance and/or a roll cage number?

Thanks,
Brandon
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Re: pre event tech question

Post by FV95 »

Yes, you can show up and be ready to race. IF your car is compliant with the GCR safety rules and performance rules for ITE you should not have a problem. You can buy a vehicle logbook at the event. See the chief tech inspector. You will also need a valid state driver's license, and a competition license, Time Trial license, or a Novice permit. You can apply for the novice permit at registration at Weatherly, or go directly to the SCCA web site, contact them and request a novice permit and have it in advance. This late in the season, I recommend applying for the novice permit (If you need one) at Weatherly. I believe the vehicle logbook is $10.00 and the application for a novice permit will cost $35.00 in addition to the entry fee. I think those costs are accurate.
See you at Weatherly,
John
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

There will be Time Trials Logbooks available at Weatherly. You can get one there and, if time permits, you can get your roll bar/cage stamped. If your primary intend is to road race with Club Racing, you will have to get a logbook from them. Try to get there Friday evening.
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Brandon,

The group has a novice program and has been headed up very successfuly by John who answered you and drives one of the formula VEEs. You will need to show up Friday evening to have your car teched and to make sure your paperwork is in order. Also, please LISTEN to what John has to say and go EASY for your first few events. It is the best way to have fun and keep both you and your car intact. I had a friend at the last event with very little seat time and a car that was decently prepared but never driven at speed. He made it to his third run and stuffed it hard enough that it will take significant amounts of time and money to put it back in order. He was more worried about getting to the top in the fastest time possible and not learning the course and progressing, and basically forgot where he was. It cost him a significant amount for both towing and damages.

There were also some very experienced drivers who wrecked hard after years of experience, which reinforces the fact that things happen quickly with little room for error. I am a novice and have been working my way up slowly. Sometimes it gets discouraging by being so much slower than other drivers in my class, but at least I bring my car home intact every week and am having fun learning. I drive an aluminum JuSTI formula car and will help any way I can, look me up.

Good luck and welcome.
Steve
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Brandon is an experienced driver. I'm not sure if he actually finished his novice premit but he has run a few of our hills. He does have lots of track experience.

Just a word about log books. SCCA does not like more than one log book. If you have a time trial log book and go for a club racing log book, you must stay with the club racing book even if you still run in time trials. The same applies for racing with other groups such as EMRA but SCCA tech's take exception when they see entries in your log book because they claim it's an SCCA book. Wish we could get a final ruling on that. I personally enter everything in one log book.

dave Y
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Steve/Joe/John/Dave,

First of all, thank you for the quick replies. Fast friendly responses like this make me wonder why I havent run a hill this year.

I will have all of my paperwork in order, I do have my TT license (non novice) and I have run Weatherly before. The core reason for my question is basically what Dave touched on... I do not want to cause any confusion by having a logbook issued for TT and also having a Club racing logbook. There is a good chance I will have my Club racing logbook before Weatherly, but its not a sure thing and I want to make sure I have a plan B if i do not get my Club book from the guys at the NJRRS regional next weekend.

Thanks again,
Brandon

PS, Steve your car is quite a creation, I had an idea for a boxer powered tube car in the past... I have an STi also, mine is just big, porky, and covered in steel :)
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brandon doesn't have to have a log book to run. Especially if he plans on having a Club Racing log book (diffent numbers stamped on roll cage) with an annual tech.

Dave Y
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

dspgti wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brandon doesn't have to have a log book to run. Especially if he plans on having a Club Racing log book (diffent numbers stamped on roll cage) with an annual tech.

Dave Y
From TTR
1. A standard SCCA Time Trials Vehicle Logbook shall be used by all competitors at all Time Trials competitions, unless exempted by the Supplementary Regulations. The Club Racing Vehicle Logbook is acceptable for those cars that are prepared to the current GCR.

I would think if he has one, it would be OK. If not, it would be up to Joe or Kurt to decide if he is OK to run without it.

Steve
Joe Foering
Novice

Post by Joe Foering »

As I inferred in my response, Brandon does not need a TT logbook if he intends to road race where he will need a CR logbook.
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

I follow you Joe, but I do need *A* logbook of some kind to run the hill though, correct? I may not have my CR logbook by Weatherly.

"There is a good chance I will have my Club racing logbook before Weatherly, but its not a sure thing and I want to make sure I have a plan B if i do not get my Club book from the guys at the NJRRS regional next weekend."

If I show up with my CR logbook, I am ok to run, got it. What if I do not have my CR logbook by Weatherly?

Brandon
Joe Foering
Novice

Post by Joe Foering »

If you have a TT Lic. or a Novice permit, you can run w/o a logbook; you won't be the only one w/o a logbook.
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

I am licensed, so I will be there CR logbook or not.

See you all there!

Brandon